9 replies to this topic

#1 m.buster

m.buster

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:58 AM

Had my first treatment yesterday morning and later that night came down with a fever and slightly swollen glands in my throat. Fever still persists today, about 36 hours later. Had no cold or flu symptoms before the treatment and am exhibiting no other symptoms post treatment except for the fever and slightly swollen/sore throat.

Just wondering if anyone experienced it and if it's normal?

Head office said they hadn't come across it... I guess there's a chance that I got sick at exactly the same time I got SMP but my gut is telling me it's related... It's stressing me out that something is wrong. 

Thanks guys.

#2 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Hi M Buster.

The symptoms you describe are the result of a virus rather than an allergic reaction. There is a theoretical possibility that your immune system may have been minutely diminished trying to deal with the pigment that just arrived in your scalp's collagen network, and that this in turn allowed a virus to take hold.

My honest assessment would be that your immune system is absolutely fine, and the viral infection is purely a coincidence.... well, not purely., You do live in Canada and it is January :0)

Get well soon.

Ed

• Cutlass18 and mikeb like this

#3 m.buster

m.buster

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the response Ed. Hopefully I'll be better by my next appointment in 5 days and these symptoms won't repeat and then we will know it was a coincidence. 

#4 JWINGO

JWINGO

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

I am quite heavily tattooed mate and this is a normal reaction to a heavy session. i Regularly get fevers after a long sitting. Nothing to worry about

• Cutlass18 likes this

#5 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

Thanks for that Jwingo, very interesting. I will be curious to see how you get on with your SMP and whether it triggers the same reaction - but I don't think an SMP treatent compares to a long sitting with a traditional tattooist.  I have had both and the pain related to SMP is significantly less, so I would hope that would reduce the likelihood of any shock to the wider system.

#6 Xander_Cage

Xander_Cage

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:27 AM

didn't get a fever, but got the inflamed/ swollen lymph nodes in the back of the neck. someone smarter than me explained it was normal. 

• mars likes this

#7 HatingHats

HatingHats

Engineer and Questioning Skeptic

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

POPULAR

It is a typical immune response to the pigment, as some of it is transported for destruction to the lymph nodes. Any time large amounts of any antigen (in this case, the pigment molecules) are present in the tissues, your body will respond with fever (pyrogens (cytokines)) and site removal.

• mars, HIS - Ed and mikeb like this

Family guy, Electrical Engineer, HIS SMPer and Dwemer Tonal Architect

SMP treatments finished on July 12th, 2013

Went from Norwood 4.5 to a realistic Norwood 1 - Pretty happy with my results!

Religions are based on faith, and Science takes nothing on faith and tests everything.  I prefer Science, It just works bitches!

#8 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:43 PM

Felt a little weird, for a week after lasered off (Not by HIS) but that would have been a complete pigment dump, and nothing too drastic.

#9 mars

mars

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

Just like Xander_Cage for me the lymph nodes below and behind my ears were swollen for a few days after my first ever smp session, I've had 3 other sessions since then and none of those sessions caused them to enlarge.  

#10 PNW-guy

PNW-guy

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

Just had my third session yesterday and the night of my lymph nodes got super sore and swollen. Anything to help with the pain? Or reduce swelling?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users