#1 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

Hi all-

Just providing a diary on my scar repair. I'm now one week after the second session. I will post pics after I get my pre-Smp photos from HIS.

I had two HTs with good results, one in 2003 and another in 2010, but just one thin, white linear scar that ran ear to ear. My goal was/is to wear my hair short and maintain a high fade/military cut. I was advised it was a good, flat scar..but I've noticed a slight ridge on one side. I was quoted with an expectation of 85-90% camo.

Here's my take so far-
I'd rate the pain at a 4-5. But that pain is gone after the 30 min session.

As for the camo. I went with a 34 ink which is light....and I would recommend going light. Like all, my first session was on the scar and the second was blending. As for the results, it's kind of a double edge sword. I can absolutely attest that the scar is less visible. Probably 80%. No one would know I had a scar from across a room. However the area is exceptionally dark...and though I expect some lightening it will remain dark. The other issue is that a noticeable linear line is created on the top of the scar. This is definitely more prominent where my scar must be slightly ridged.

So here's my overall assessment thus far. It's an improvement. I wouldn't be "embarrassed" to show it as is. Can people pick up the scar from 4-5 ft away? Probably if they look closely. Do, I feel like His was honest in their quotes? Yes, I do. It really does hide the scar to a high degree, but the darkness is still going to make it evident to some that a scar is there. Would I recommend SMP for scar only? I think I would if someone has realistic expectations. You basically go from jumping out at everybody in the room to having a casually noticeable scar.

I would also advise that the blending is arguably more important than the scar. I wouldn't tell your practitioner to "pound the scar." In fact, the best strategy might be telling them to go modest density in the scar and be careful on the frame, followed by blending with light ink.

Just my take for anybody interested.

#2 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

Thats a generous and eloquent sharing of your experience TDstrip. Many thanks.

#3 fedebold

fedebold

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationURUGUAY

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

But...why is it dark? I dont understand that, its supposed not to be...isn it?

#4 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:00 AM

Yes. It's black ink, so it is supposed to match the color of your follicles. The lighter your hair, the lighter you go. Plus it all fades to a lugh terrible color afer a period of time.

I'd show you but I actually realized I'm not sure how to load a pic to this page.

I have a strip scar btw..hence the stupid name ha! Knew I should have went with "Linear Legend."
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#5 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:03 AM

Lol that was supposed to be "lighter color" not lugh terrible.

#6 Scarredup5

Scarredup5

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

TDstrip,

How your scar holding up? Any chance of getting some pics to see your progress? I shaved my head over Xmas and was blown away by how my wife could improve my scar by 75% just by dotting it with a makeup pencil then toning it down with a foundation powder. Not ideal but I could get away with going out in public in a pinch if I had to. Where did you see the greatest improvement with the fill in session or the blending session?

Scarredup5

Considering scar repair to fix the big smiley face on the back of my head from two HT's. 

#7 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:25 PM

Scarredup- I sent pics to Ed but they couldn't be uploaded.

It's holding up pretty good. One side is really good. I probably need a touch up on the other. At a zero guard it's relatively non-detectable.

#8 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

Thats right I remember, very frustrating.  To save me digging through would you mind resending them... there was just an update to the site that may have helped. Happy to try.

#9 FNX

FNX

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFar from home

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:51 AM

Scarredup- I sent pics to Ed but they couldn't be uploaded.

It's holding up pretty good. One side is really good. I probably need a touch up on the other. At a zero guard it's relatively non-detectable.

Hi TDstrip,

Which machine do you use to shave/trim your hair?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us

#10 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Nothing special. I use a regular electric shaver sometimes after a full cut but normally just go over the back with a no blade beard trimmer every morning. You really just can't let it grow much at all. Best option is probably to take an electric shaver over it every night then have a tiny bit of stubble by morning. Would also eliminate morning hassle.

Remember I'm one of the few that has hair on top, so my maintenance is more frequent.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#11 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi All- just wanted to provide an update and pose a question or two. Writing these up are sort of therapeutic. Ha!

To rehash I just got the scar camouflage bc I'm relatively happy with my HT. The real reason I had this done was bc I want to go short bc I don't care for the salt n pepper look I'm developing at almost 35. I know some dont care but it bothers me. I have a relatively flat scar and was told 80-90% coverage.

After the second session blending it looked really good for about a month but then started getting spotty. I started using a concealer and it did a pretty good job on the ink, but was a hassle. I just had my third done eight days ago.

In my opinion, my issue was density not fading but my practitioner seemed to disagree and thought the scar has just faded a little. He then proceeded to go one shade darker in the scar. I shaved down yestetday. It's only a 32 shade but it looks awful dark. Not ridiculous but there is a pretty obvious dark line.

From say 6-8 ft away one might think it's a wrinkle. So, I can't sit here and say it's not an improvement over an obvious white scar...but I also can't really say it's a desired look. I understand that it will fade and this is not the end product, but I have a hard time believing it won't still be an obvious line especially where the scar cast a shadow.

Unfortunately, I can't post pics. My questions are-
1) Is there a reason why they wouldn't blend on the final touch up?
2) Do I need to wait to use a concealer product? If there's potential for significant fading, I don't want to negatively affect long term results with concealer chemicals.

Thanks again!

#12 fab103

fab103

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Locationcanada

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

I know you just posted yesterday but how dos the HT scar look? I am going to Toronto next month to have SMP done and I also have one  strip from ear to ear that is kinda bumpy that I really want covered and I am a fair skinned redhead to boot, this is making me kinda nervous that I will be disappointed-please comment what you think TDstrip

#13 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:19 AM

It's an improvement. It'll make u less insecure.

You're basically just adding a dark tint to your scar to make it less obvious. That's why I wish they would have blended more around the scar in my last session.

U'll want to go super light with your hair color.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users