mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

Hello all, 

And thanks for all the info, this forum is great.  First off, I'd like to put out there, I have had SMP, not by HIS.  But the past is the past.  I have successfully been able to remove most of it, via laser. The thing I have found out is that it is long road back, even if you just want to be the guy before SMP.  So anyways, I have been on this forum for a little while and I have seen guys make miraculous recoveries from bad treatments, so this does give me hope.  I guess in a way you sort of lose of faith in the treatment.  My issue was dot size, extremely too big, and unnatural, my hair type is very light brown, with mostly light features as well.  The biggest factor I think is natural, because less is more in this type of thing, I have considered getting it redone , and I'm about 12 weeks post laser and I realize that there is still going to be some remnants of the treatment, and there are other factors, and I'll throw a phrase out there that most may not know, Telogen Effluvium.  This is what happens to your hair follicles when the laser hits it, meaning you'll have patches where your hair will not grow, for awhile, I am just now seeing some of original hair pop up post laser. As one can guess I am very skeptical about getting this redone, but there are so many folks on this forum, and I would say one of the best I've seen is the guy that I believe is the sports car salesman, his looks great, and I wish that possibly mine can turn out that good.  Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• HIS - Ed and HonestDiscussion (HD) like this

#2 Tasper

Tasper

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

Just curious if you were so unhappy to have it removed the first time, what would make you think it would be better the second time?

Edit - just realized first time wasn't with HIS
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#3 Alec Baldwin

Alec Baldwin

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hello all, 

I would say one of the best I've seen is the guy that I believe is the sports car salesman, his looks great, and I wish that possibly mine can turn out that good.  Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think you're talking about my man Robby. His treatment (and thread) is fantastic. He's a great guy even though he was a bank robbery getaway driver in the past. Allegedly. 

• HIS - Ed likes this

#4 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

Nice... I think it was Robbie, but anyhow, I guess I'm sort of back and forth, I mean I think with a good tan next spring and with the hair growing back in eventually, I may return to my former self, which I would take in a heartbeat, but at this point it seems still, like a ways off, I know the man who hates hats has recommended, and from reading his posts, definitely sounds like a guy who knows what he's talking about, there is a way to fade it even more, to get the rest out.  Patience is the key I suspect, so I guess you could call this the post-SMP-roller coaster, where I'm wondering if I can get back to the old me, or would I have to get a treatment, to make the remnants look alright so I was just wondering, it looks like some folks have made great comebacks and that is encouraging, and it's hard to imagine that some have actually had a great many laser treatments (not from HIS), and still have some left, but just kind of wondering, I believe with a tan and lots of sun next spring, it should be barely noticeable, so I guess patience is the key, but I'm glad that this procedure has been heaven sent, for most that I've read on these posts, I guess just looking for some encouragement but I'll just wait and see the skin definitely takes time to heal...So it may difficult to assess everything at this point..

#5 BaldingNow

BaldingNow

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

Hi Mikeb

Sorry to hear about your hurdle. I would like to remove my smp as well. But trying to weigh the risks of removing it. Some folks were sick after a tattoo (not smp as far as I know) removal. have you had any medical issues post removal?

Also, I was told it may take more than 1 laser session to remove with the q switch laser. You seem to have only 1?

My smp was done by hishair. They told me it can be completely removed.

I've just miss the old me just like you.

Thanks

B

#6 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:31 AM

Not sure, if I have any SMP removal related health issues, just want to emphasize, laser is not necessarily an automatic eraser, you're scalp will go through some things, so just be mindful of that. PM me or whatever if you want all the info on getting it removed,  I would recommend keeping it, if it is somewhat natural looking.

#7 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:04 AM

I'd just like to give an update, my hair seems to have recovered from the laser session, meaning it seems to have grown back pretty much the same as before, after the bought with Telegon Effluvium, and the scalp seems to be a lot looser, these days.. been about 85 days since, and seems about right, as far as the time frame goes....lots of folks have messaged me on the laser process, and I'm glad that they have, this being the goal of the forum anyways is to pass on information.  Sometimes things don't work out and forever I'll think and wonder if I'd a had it done by HIS, whether or not I would have kept it, but a word of advice, and I can tell from some of the less than satisfactory treatments, is that sweating is bad... I mean, I'm no scientist, but from what I can tell the pigment is initially liquid, and liquid of any type will expand in heat, and will find the low spot, gravity, which could mean big dots.  This was definitely true in my case, so be careful, I know a lot of us bald guys like to work out, but I guess the time is 30 days or whatever, recommended before heavy sweating, please if anyone has any questions, please let me know.   looks like I should make a full recovery, I think next spring with a little tan on my head, should even out the skin a bit.  In a perfect world everyone would be satisfied, but ultimately we all tried to do something about our hair loss, and that is the common bond. but thanks for listening, I hope my journey shall lead me back to my starting point.. :)

• HonestDiscussion (HD) likes this

#8 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hello again Mikeb

Thanks for the update. Just to clear up the issue with the big dots... The pigment sits in the collagen layer just beneath the epidermis, Think of it as a mass of jumbled threads. These threads are not uniform and there are clumps as well as areas where it is less dense. Sometimes the pigment can sit in one of these less dense areas and form a slightly larger dot. They should be identifiable by the practitioner after the first session and effectively camouflaged during the second and any subsequent sessions.

Just one other observation to add, in regard to the laser treatment - That different clinics use different compounds and this will affect the ease, or otherwise, of their removal. That is not to challenge your experience in any way, simply to point out that the experience can differ according to the pigments used (and of course the depth to which they are inserted).

Best wishes

Ed

• mikeb and HonestDiscussion (HD) like this

#9 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:29 AM

Hi,

Everyone again, I've had my third laser (again my treatment was not from HIS, a much lesser provider) and it seems there is just a little left, I'm hoping some tanning, will remove the rest, I think it will, My head is looking pretty close to normal again.  Something I've discovered which is some good stuff, and may be a great thing for post treatment, is Emu oil, I really like it, it sort of settles out the skin real good, and is also provided some great pain relief, not trying to advertise it, but it's definitely much better than like aquafor or whatever, just wanted to pass it along... Really good stuff, I am not sure if it will fade a treatment, so I'd be careful with that, but for the tightness and soreness, it's awesome.  I'm lucky to have discovered it.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#10 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

Always happy to see genuine recommendations for products that posters have found helpful... In the case of Emu Oil I have heard and read positive anecdotal evidence - but the collective knowledge of this forum will surely throw up some better insight.

• mikeb likes this

#11 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:58 AM

Another thing I have tried is Retinol Cream, as you can see I'm throwing the cavalry at my issue.  It is supposed to thicken your skin as well as help in exfoliating it.  And I tell no lie, I noticed this morning only after a couple of days of using it, the remnant dots are going away, as I looked at my head in the brightly lit bathroom mirror. (which shows the most evidence of the dots) really had to strain to see them, so this a good sign.  During this process,I am continuing to keep my head in the most moisturized state possible.  So if there are folks with the treatment and satisfied.. keep away from the Retinol!  I would suggest. But thanks for listening, luckily at my job I am able to wear a hat, so this is fortunate.  Still debating on whether or not to get it redone by HIS, but I'll just wait, I guess, until my palette is once again clean.

#12 BaldingNow

BaldingNow

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

Hi Mikeb,

I had laser removal done 5 weeks ago as well. Prior to it being done, they did a test spot and it went well. However, afterwards, another technician cranked up the power and the smp was instantly removed but it burnt some of my hair off. It certainly left me feeling down after my hair is missing. All she did was say that's their procedure. I saw some hair (small amount) turned white. Other parts of my head is fading away well with my hair still intact. I'm just very furious and sad about the hair that's missing. Makes my head look awful.

Thanks for sharing your feedback.

#13 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:50 PM

Balding,

what type of laser did they use? I'm pretty sure the hair will come back, science says the hair will be in telogen for 2-4 months.  And from what I've researched, the process cannot be sped up, I know it's treacherous, as I'm still waiting after my last laser procedure.  It almost makes sense the hair won't grow now, if you think about it... your scalp skin is a little thinner, probably so it needs to thicken before hair can grow.  Just hang in there man, and you should see it back, in 5-7 weeks... When it comes back initially slowly, but once it gets going, it comes back quick, yes the white hair is a result of the 1064 laser destroying the pigment in your hair but not the hair itself, the research I've done, to get your skin back is Emu Oil and some Retinol cream.  Please feel free to PM me, it's a process.  The skin heals in about 10 days, the hair growing back takes some time.  I know you feel man, but the good thing is the ink is gone, correct?  Just wait till you get can a nice tan on it, and the hair, unless they used the wrong type of laser, which I've heard is much different from the one they use for hair removal, it will come back, seems like it won't but it will.  Good luck

Mike

• HIS - Ed likes this

#14 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:44 AM

Well, 

Cowboy'd up and went to the tanning saloon today, and good results, I remember severe itchiness, when my head was exposed to the sun, many months ago, but I was able to tan for about 5 minutes with no itchy sensation, 5 weeks post laser, so that was good, I haven't had any rays on my scalp in about 5 months, so the tone is very different from that of my face.  It looks like my plan to get rid of the remaining fragments is underway, and my skin is not as tight as before... Emu Oil, Shea Butter, Retinol cream, Mederma, Aquaphor, Fish Oil, Lysine.  I've thrown the works on my scalp and it seems to be working as far as skin quality and healing has gone.  Signed up for 15 sessions, I hope that will do the trick, and come spring have a clean pallette, in the very least I can see the tan is blending better my forehead to scalp so far.  In this process I believe I've become very knowledgeable about laser procedure.  Be careful and realize your skin is thinner, after this, and the collagen has to build back up, and your follicles have to hibernate for a bit.  But I think this is good news, I shall continue to work out, sweat, and do all I can to fix the issue. thanks for listening.  Lesson I've learned, go with the folks who know what they are doing, and it seems as if HIS are those folks..

• HIS - Ed likes this

#15 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

Hi again,

It's me again.  Something I've recently tried is dermarolling, basically microneedling.  I had originally conceived of this idea, when my scalp was tight due to the laser.  My theory was kind of correct.  My skin, I guess because of the little incisions, made my scalp looser and more comfortable.  The science behind it for hair loss, is that it sort of tricks the body into rushing blood to the scalp, to try and repair the wounds.  In turn this feeds the necessary nutrients to the area and I guess grows hair.   A humorous side to this is, in effect, it kind of frames a hairline on your head if you do it right.  Almost looks like immediate post treatment of the SMP, I use a small 0.5 mm roller, and very little blood comes out.  But I notice the redness comes, nontheless, and creates the appearance of a hairline, I have done this once a week, for about 3 weeks, and I have noticed my skin texture starting to match my forehead, so if it does or does not create hair, it has improved the texture of my skin, not too painful, throw a little aspercreme on it before, but I think it should be interesting to see how it goes. Thanks for listening.  My hopes are also that it can break up the little bit of ink I have left, so the phagocytes can eat up the smaller pigment.  I'm sure with a bigger sized roller, this may be possible, but I don't want too much pain, if you know what I mean.  Pretty interesting and it seems to be working.

Mike

• HIS - Ed likes this

#16 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:52 AM

DSCF2412.JPG

Hi All,

My Scalp looking pretty clean, with a little tan, I think I'm almost there.  I do have pics, of my lasered head, but I'm worried about circulation through the internet, and most of us in the SMP world, try to be pretty stealth.  Also seeing how my screen name is like real name and all, and my location, just don't want to be all over the net, with those somewhat gross looking laserhead pics. But looks like the hard work, and research is getting me somewhere, This is the top of my scalp now, where SMP was before,  my rather large dotted SMP,and when I say large, I mean about 10 times the size of my actual folicles. But I hope this gives hope to anyone that may be less than satisfied with their procedure from a different provider, 99.9 percent of what I've seen from HIS looks outstanding.. anyways.. what do ya'll think?  There is still quite a bit of my hair follicles in hibernation, but should be growing like wildfire here in a couple months I'm thinking.  

If you look in the bottom left hand of the pic, you can kind of make out a patch of missing hair follicles, that is what I'm talking about with the laser forcing the follicles into telogen, from everything I've read and seen, and experienced myself, this is temporary, but nonetheless treacherous.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#17 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:31 PM

As you can see in the pic, my hair follices are barely visible.  So I'm not even sure that there is a needle that can come close to that, I realize that there are people with the treatment, that are very fair haired, but in hindsight, I believe I should have considered this, the folks who did the treatment, are not one of your competitors.  They are, I guess, a local operation, that specializes in HT's, and seem to be very respected as far as that goes.  Just beware... If you think about it, it's an expensive procedure, and you think about it from start to finish, you are only talking about maybe 6-7 hours of work involved, The pay per hour, from them damaging my head, was about about $900 per hour of work.  Not bad, I wouldn't mind having that job.  But when you deal with that kind of dough, they will do the procedure whether or not they think it will turn out good or not.  I could have easily had done it with HIS, and judging by the percentages, been very happy with the results.  I guess from my vantage point, my advice would be, do you homework, there is a reason that HIS has been around for awhile.  The amount of skill to be able to pull off SMP, is pretty staggering.  It's not something an average Joe, can do.  Although I am not certain, I believe my practitioner lost their job, after my treatment.  A good analogy, I believe, and it's something I've heard is just because you buy a Fender Strat, does not automatically turn you into Eric Clapton.  This is true of the treatment, I've seen some really good ones, especially Adele's bodyguard.. looks perfect, but it has to be.  I hope in the future that anyone who needs help as far as getting back or reclaiming their pallette for HIS to reapply SMP, are very welcome to  PM me, I am glad to help, and I have a lot of understanding on how to get back to where you were.  But good luck to all, I've seen some awesome treatments judging by the Pics, I've seen on here, and I hope folks can learn from my experience, it's best to get it done right the first time.  Cheers

Mike

#18 Rotary

Rotary

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for sharing your insights. It's true that research is very important but no 2 people are the same even with the same practitioner
  • mikeb likes this

#19 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:40 AM

Rotary,

This is true, everyone is different especially when it comes to skin and hair.  I think with me too, I was just to used to being the bald guy, and it was a little bizarre to see a hairline, I guess just associating myself with being bald for so long, I hadn't considered that, I think if I had done it at a younger age, maybe differen't but it's all good.  

Mike

#20 mikeb

mikeb

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWisconsin USA

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:06 AM

All, 

Here is a cropped pic of my head, of the work from a differen't provider, it's not pretty, and kind of embarrassing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 016 - Copy.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users