horseshoe

Any truth to the merging/bleeding of pigments over time theory

Whenever I'm surfing the different hair loss forums and see SMP discussed, it usually comes down to someone arguing that over time, as your body breaks down the pigments, the dots will eventually merge or bleed together. Most people who argue this point will say that all tattoos eventually meet this fate, so they speculate SMP will do the same.  

Is there any truth to the theory? Will SMP eventually bleed together making for one solid grey shadow with no distinct individual dots? Or does SMP behave differentially than a traditional tattoo in this sense? If so, why does it behave differentially?

As an addendum, here is a link to a research paper that models how tattoos in the average human body fade, smear and bleed:

http://phys.org/news/2011-04-math-tattoo-age.html

If you are interested in the mathematical principles of diffusion and their associated differential equations, then that paper will be of interest. It also discusses the differential diffusion (fade) rates of tattoo components which is exactly what makes them appear to bleed or smear.

Hi Horseshoe.

I personally wouldn't use peroxide or any other harsh chemical on my scalp. I know it is a popular dye and used on long hair it can, with care, be kept away from the skin. I have never set foot inside a hairdresser but I know they use a scalp cap that they pull the hair through to treat it... thus protecting the thin sensitive skin on the scalp be keeping it separated from that ferocious potion.

I can't imagine how it could be applied by someone with the typically shaved hair worn with an SMP... at least not without causing damage. Not that it would affect your SMP directly, as per Hating Hats superb explanation above, it is applied to the epidermis (the outer layer of skin) when the SMP pigment is below that and out of reach in the dermal layer.

But it sounds like a terrible idea just the same.

I appreciate the kind comments but there are many people out there with more lights on in the attic than me. I just happened to be a dude who was losing his hair and decided to apply my best tool, the scientific method, to understand more about the micropigmentation process before I decided if the treatment was right for me. Now that I am fairly familar with the biophysics and biochemistry of pigmentation, I am happy to help others who surely have the same questions I did, when I began down the road.

i have a question is there such a thing as over moisturizing ? i use nivea aftersun mostly, as it is what was recommended in the leaflet i got from the clinic, my work involves me wearing a hard hat for sometimes twelve hours a day at work, so lots of sweating, and i wondered would it be a good idea to apply moisturizer maybe half way through my shift, i have and will observe the guidelines about a month before heavy sweating, but i regularly go to the gym and sweat alot there too, will there be any negative fading effects by either lots of moisturizing, and /or lots of post one month sweating?

cheers mate.

Dasher.

I am not a dermatologist Dasher, but I would say the guiding principle with moisturizing is to use good common sense. Like most substances, moisturizers contain several different compounds. If you use your typical moisturizer one to three times per day, I doubt you will have any concerns. But if someone suffered from an OCD type condition where they were moisturizing thirty or more times per day, then sure, it is quite possible that some of the compounds could act as irritants. As to your working conditions, I would wait until the end of the day or shift to apply moisturizer. The reason is that some oil based moisturizers can act as a barrier preventing normal sweating and lead to a build up of sebum, bacteria and possibly irritation. Since you are wearing a hard hat anyway, no one is going to be looking much at your scalp. And then, when the shift is over, you can moisturize your scalp normally.

And as to sweating, no, ...it will not affect your SMP if you follow the aftercare guidelines. The reason is that sebum and sweat are deposited on top of the epidermis while the pigment molecules are trapped below in the dermis and will not be affected.