MrOnTheFence

MrOnTheFence's Diary

As usual Jonathan was a great practitioner. And I was happy it wasn't a rushed session. It was probably as long as the first two give or take.

I've been happy with him, I've had no problems with any appointments or booking them. The ladies who answer the phones have always been polite to me. My experience with HIS has been a positive one overall. Nownisnthe waiting game to see if it was all worth it and if I can finally move on with my life and be "hair free/carefree."

I guess in the meanwhile I can discuss some of my treatment details. A usual question people ask is "what shade did you get?." Well from session 1-3 there were always a variety of shades used. As high as 40 and as low as 16. The 40 was for the hairline and other blended areas, and so on. He's a master, he has a vision and goes with it.

As I mentioned I personally have been choosing to shave daily.

Shine isn't much of a problem but I do like using the milk of magnesia. It makes he SMP pop a bit.

I put lotion on before bed and if I'm just hanging around at home .(these are all after the waiting periods they give you of course.)

Anyways I'm tired. I'll keep adding more over the next few days. Ask questions of you have them.

Well I got my first session done , and I want to know how long will the redness be on my head ? is been 3 days and I still have redness , also I am really disappointed with the my SMP in my head , the reason is the sides doesn't match at all left side looks really good but right side looks like Dracula head and I am really sad cause I love my left side so now to try to match the other side is Going to copy my ride side and then my head is going to look like Dracula dang

has any of you have

I HOPE on my second treatment he can fix me , or fix the error that he make

My question is when you guy's have your SMP done the artist well used something to match both sides ? Or he uses his naked eye ? Like my artist did

Well I got my first session done , and I want to know how long will the redness be on my head ? is been 3 days and I still have redness , also I am really disappointed with the my SMP in my head , the reason is the sides doesn't match at all left side looks really good but right side looks like Dracula head and I am really sad cause I love my left side so now to try to match the other side is Going to copy my ride side and then my head is going to look like Dracula dang

has any of you have

I HOPE on my second treatment he can fix me , or fix the error that he make

My question is when you guy's have your SMP done the artist well used something to match both sides ? Or he uses his naked eye ? Like my artist did

Most practitioners draw on the hairline with a white pencil. Ask yours to do that next time. If he says he doesn't need to just say something like "it'll help me visualize if it's going to come out how I want it. And check the mirror after he's done drawing it on.

My head stays red for a few days. Really not 100% gone for like maybe 4-5 days. Now I don't mean it stayed beet red for those five days, it just takes time to settle.

Don't worry, things you don't like in session one can be corrected.

Hey guys, this is going to be the last time I post here for a few weeks.

I hate to add to the negativity going around here lately but I'm on one of the "low" points of the "roller coaster" of getting SMP.

Friday I got my third session done.  That morning before I left, I did my routine of shaving and apply Milk of Magnesia and loved what I saw in the mirror.  As I walked the streets and looked into windows and other reflective surfaces I barely saw my treatment but still loved what I saw.  I guess I began to get use to the "bald look" and it was nice knowing that there was the SMP shadow at times in certain lights.

The biggest issue I had with session two was the horseshoe didnt blend with the SMP completely.  But It didn't look unnatural, it just looked like maybe I'm thinning on top a bit. No big deal. I loved what I saw.

Now I did get a little psyched out when session two faded a bit.  So that put the thought in my head maybe I need to go a bit darker.  So I explained to that to Jonathan so we decided to use a darker ink.  From the prior darkest being 20 down to 16.  

Anyways, let me get to the "issue."  Now I very well know in the end everything might become better because A. my head still has areas of redness and B the treatment will still lighten.

However, I got home and looked in the mirror and thought...damn its "too much."  Keep in mind I went from a treatment that sometimes disappeared to something that now is quite obvious and always there. 

The horseshoe blending is much better now.  But I feel like there is too much going on up front and with the hairline.  I fear my decision to go darker might have been a bad one.  I'm trying to keep in mind that it should fade, but I still can't help but feel a little down right now.

I wish I just asked Jonathan to only focus and blending the horseshoe and not touch anything else.  I did ask him in the beginning to not add too much more to the hairline and there were times he was and I almost spoke up to remind him.  Wish I had.  Lesson is go with your gut.  Remember there is the vision you have and the vision of the artist working on you. Jonathan is great at reading your vision but remember the practitioners are not psychic mind readers.

I just feel like it's too obvious now. I liked the more subtle look of the second session better.  It's funny because the results I'm seeing now are probably closer to the results I originally had in mind when I first started researching this.  But that was more to do with not knowing how I'd look with the shaved head.

THINGS I MUST STILL CONSIDER

1. Its only a day and a half after my session.  I know a bunch of you will remind me to wait it out and how it'll settle and such.  And I am keeping that in mind.  

2. I'm not saying the results right now look bad.  I just think I was happier after the second session.  My gf has assured me that the dots look natural and that the only problem she sees is the sides and top don't match because of the redness.  I'm praying it is just the redness and I didn't make a mistake requesting to go darker.

3. Shine might be adding to the problem.  This is during the period I can't wash or moisturize or add a matte effect.  So maybe when I can do all that it'll look better too.

I really hope when its all said and done I get that happy feeling I had after session 2.

Like Tosspot said, he stays off the forum lately so that the negative vibes don't get to you.  I wish I had stuck to that plan.  I didn't want to post my current feelings but then I came on and saw that old thread that was resurrected about the person who canceled and all the reasons.  I saw how mixedraceman had some regrets too.  That made me feel worse.

But I figured I should write this just as a learning curve for anyone still thinking about the treatment.  Go with your gut. If you aren't happy with what you see then ask for more. Be very specific and speak up if you think you should.  I know some people say leave it in the hands of your practitioner and to some degree you should.  But if somethings bothering you mention it.  I wish I had spoke up to Jonathan when I felt like he was spending more time than I wanted on the front and hairline.  

Also, don't feel like you need to go all the sessions they quote you for.  There is a big part of me right now that keeps wishing I had just stopped after session 2.  So many people told me I didn't need anymore.  But my mind set was "if session 2 looks this good session 3 can only get better."  At the moment I feel that thought process might have been wrong.  I would have saved money and still been happy with my new look.

Ok, sorry for the negative sounding post after I had so many positive ones.  I will wait this out now and see if after it settles I feel better.  I remind you, its not like I hate what I'm seeing.  Maybe its just a shock because its different than what I saw in the mirror every day for the last two weeks.  Maybe this needs to settle and I need to get use to my new look. 

Please don't take this post as a "failure" story.  It's too soon to say.  It might just be an example of the emotional roller coaster other SMP wearers talk about.

For the record, first Jonathan suggested we stick with shade 20 for the darkest shade.  but then I asked about fading.  And it was my choice to go darker.  I don't know if sticking with 20 would have made much of a difference because I'm not sure if its the shade of the ink itself or the density that is bothering me at the moment.

So please research this as much as you can.  Realize that density has as much if not more to do with how will you'll see the final outcome than just the shade.

If you know for sure you want a real visible treatment for for more density.  If you want it more subtle then stick with less density.

For me I feel like maybe there is too much density on the top front and hairline.

Sorry I keep editing and adding more. I just wanted to say don't bother asking for photos to see what I'm talking about. I DEFINITELY don't want anyone else's input until it settles and I make a final decision about it.

ONE last thought (maybe).  If possible go the full month or more between session 2 and 3 (if you're quoted for 3).  I wish I went longer with session 2.  Maybe by then I would have completely changed my mind state.  See i was in a transition period of what I originally wanted to what I felt like would really look best.

Originally I thought I want to end up with a nice dense slightly dark treatment that stands out.  That's what I have right now...the old me would be super happy. 

But once I discovered I didnt look bad with a bald head I wanted to end up with a more natural looking softer treatment (what I had after session 2).

I freaked after session 2 faded a bit (the scabs came off).  But I wish I waited 2 more weeks.  Like I said by the time I left for session 3 I had begun to accept the results of session 2....maybe more time would have left me feeling like "this is it, I'm happy and done."

So do your research and take it slow.  My original idea was bang it out at the beginning of summer so I can be done and enjoy the rest of the summer.  Now I wish I had more patience.

I know man, thanks for the encouragement.  I'm aware it has to settle.  Sometimes it's hard to imagine the final results.  That's why I wanted to wait to post about it.  But then talking about it helps too.  Plus its good to document all the steps and process so others know what they're in for.

I hope in 2-4 weeks it settles nicely and I'm happy with the results.

I understand your reluctance to put up pics but if your own girlfriend thinks it looks good then I believe you will be fine.

I think all of us hair loss sufferers will always have a small complex about our heads no matter what we do.

I am also looking forward to your pics. Hang in there, man.

Thanks southpaw, but honestly after session 2 I loved looking on the mirror. If anything it was helping me accept my baldness.

My fear is session 3 went too far and it's going to look suspect. I felt 100% confident being out with my head exposed after session 2.

I hope my gf is being honest. She might just be trying to keep me from worrying too much.

And honestly, it's great if it looks good to others but the most important thing is how I feel when I look in the mirror. So I'm hoping it fades a bit and I end up liking what I see. I'd hate if now every day I wake up and get ready and have to think "fuck why didn't I stop after session two!?" I don't want to think about my hair loss anymore. I want to be happy with my appearance. I had all that after session two. Wish I had the wisdom to stop.

I really wanted to question the time frame between sessions 2 and 3 because we're usually told to wait a month or even longer but I just figured u had scheduling issues and needed it done asap. I think after my third I panicked too because seeing it so dark was a shock but Jonathan told me it was going to look that way and would soon fade to match which it did. I just think it's too soon to tell for u. But yeah it is a good idea to document your freak outs so others know what they're in for. I really feel like you'll be back when it all settles talking about how it was all just a false alarm guys!

Just give it some time. A day or two after a session is not enough time. I've seen the good advice you've given others. You should know this already bro. You'll be fine.

Thanks Jose, I'm doing my best to stay calm. It's both a blessing and a curse that I'm off from work for the summer. A blessing so that I can get use to this and hopefully have it settle....but a curse because I have nothing but time to dwell on it. I need to get out I think.

My brother and my friend both told me they think it looks good. They said the same as my gf they still see a lot of red. But otherwise they think it looks good. Starting to feel a bit better.

I think it's just a bit of a shock to see so much more density. I'll be patient and let the redness settle and let it fade

To be exact, my brothers comment was "it looks like any shaved head."

My friend said "the only thing that might look weird is you shave your whole head." Basically he was saying what a lot of us already know, it's unusual for a guy with a full head of hair to shave. But he meant it in a good way, that otherwise nothing looks suspect.

My gf compared it to an SMP she saw that she didn't like. She didn't like the straight hairline. She said my hairline is naturally shaped and that the dots look more natural. She said my dots are various shades and sizes which looked more natural than the very uniform looking dots she saw on another person with SMP.

So these comments are helping me relax. And hopefully once it's settled I'll be a happy customer again.

Good morning. Another positive update. Today I woke up and I'd say the redness is 98-99% gone and the treatments really starting to look how I hoped.

A quick observation about it. Some people on here say their SMP looks good and no one would be able to tell unless they get like 6 inches away or whatever. In my opinion it's the opposite. For me the closer I get to the mirror and stare at my scalp the more realistic it looks.

Just an update.  I've added a thread in the common room that addresses some of my concerns and includes pictures.

Basically I'm a week in and what concerns me is that the SMP and natural hair don't seem to blend.  The SMP appears a tad darker and I'm afraid I made the wrong choice by asking for a darker shade.

It could also be because my scalp might still be a bit red...so I'm hoping that eases the difference in shade as my scalp heals up more...but I'm not extremely confident.

So with my mistake I give this advice GO EASY ON DENSITY AND DARKNESS.  The difference in density between session 2 and 3 is BIG.  The density itself might give you the fuller/darker look you think you might be missing after session 2.

Remember with the 1 year guarantee if you aren't happy you can always go back for more.  But in a case like mine adding more is the opposite of what I would want.  Now my satisfaction is left up to nature based on how much my scalp heals and how much the ink fades.

I'll also add this remark. I can't stress enough how much you should research this life decision.  Look HIS is a great company so please don't take my following comment as a complaint. But you please must remember that at the end of the day its a company looking to make money.

The way they advertise the SMP process is not 100% realistic.  And you're fed the same information during your consultation, at least I was.  It's not really a simple process of "go in friday evening and be back to work monday."  I mean yes you can. Its not like you're bed ridden or anything.  But you'll probably have some kind of explaining to do based on redness, or a sudden appearance of dots or a sudden disappearance of hair and a very thinning looking scalp (if you wear a system).

One of the things I wish was presented to me differently would have been the importance of waiting between session 1 and 2.  When I met with Ian he initially wanted me to bang them out in 3 consecutive weeks.  His reasoning being "well you're coming from a system so you're going to want to get the full density as soon as possible."

What bothers me about that in retrospect is I feel like that was more of an "assembly line" approach to SMP.  The perfect density should be individual.  But I had this mind set like "ok the experts are telling me to bang it out quick."  And admittedly that did sound good because I thought YES I can get it done fast and enjoy the rest of the summer.

Now due to circumstances I had to delay session 3 so I went two weeks between 2 and 3 instead of 1.  I truly feel if I went a full month I probably would not have asked for a darker shade. Heres the reason....session 2 had faded a bit after about 7-9 days.  At first I was disappointed but then began to get use to and like that look.  When I went for session 3 I asked Jonathan about shading and he said "usually the 30 day mark is when the shading slows down and holds."  So I freaked out thinking man whats left on my head might fade WAY more if I had two more weeks, LETS GO DARKER!

The thing is...it might not have faded much more at all..  If I had gone those two weeks I could have gauged that better.

Whats funny about all this to me is that I have the whole summer off.  Probably more than 99% of people who do this I had PLENTY of time to spare.  Yet I rushed it.

TAKE YOUR TIME.  The month between 2 and 3 is a good gauge that you should take advantage of.  Do your research, DEMAND personalized attention even during your consultation.  Don't simply accept cookie cutter answers.  It's NOT that simple.

Consider your work schedule.  How much time you have off and such.  If you can wear a hat during work, great! If not, don't ASSUME the redness will be completely gone as fast as they say.

The promotion of SMP is BEST CASE SCENARIO.  It's like those diet fads you see on tv.  Yea they probably aren't lying. Suzy probably did lose 100 lbs in 2 weeks but thats the fluke.

Anyways.  I remind you I am not complaining.  Nor do I regret SMP as a whole.  Part of me wishes I stopped or waited after session 2.  Part of me is still being patient and hopefully even what I have will turn out great given more time.  Its a roller coaster of emotions and outlooks.  Thankfully I still have over a month before I go back to work.

Funny enough..thinking about it more.  If I had gotten session 3 in a weeks time, or rather 6 days after session 2 (that was my original appointment) I don't think I would have gone darker either.  Because that would have been before it faded some, so I wouldn't have thought I needed to go darker....lol sucks how just a weeks time made such a difference in my decision.