#21 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Thats the spirit!!  Good to hear you sounding positive, delighted to read your condition has improved. Keep us posted.

Cheers

Ed

#22 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

I had my second micro-needling treatment done last week.  I have to say that the lady who is the practitioner is the nicest and most reassuring of any I have encountered in my many visits to clinics such as this.  I thought I had noticed some improvement in my scarring, but I don't really trust my own perception anymore.  I see things that perhaps aren't that noticeable and sometimes don't see things that are.  It is hard to be an unbiased judge when you are looking at yourself.

But the lady said right away that she not only saw much improvement in the condition of my scalp in general, but felt there was improvement in the scarring too.  That made me feel good. She told me that in her opinion the scarring isn't even that bad or noticeable, and that made me feel so good as well.  I know I focus too much on it, as we all probably do.  But I bet that most people might not even notice the tings that we obsess over. 

The second treatment seemed more aggressive.  When I got home my scalp was very red and sensitive.  It looked like I had a severe sunburn, but the discomfort is very manageable.  

I knew from what happened after the first treatment that I needed to be more on the lookout for any symptoms of my seborrheic dermatitis flaring up again.  I did things a bit differently this time And I am happy to say that I have had no symptoms.  My scalp looks and feels better than it has in years, even with the residual redness from the treatment.  

I honestly think that my scars are much less apparent than before. I almost find it hard to accept, but to my eyes they my scalp in the front looks the best since before I had the darn HT.  Even without looking, when I rub my fingers over the scarred area I don't feel the bumps and depressions as much.  It seems as if they are leveling out a bit.  The body reacts to the stress from the needling and attempts to heal itself by producing more collagen, and therefor improved skin.  At least that is the theory.

I go back for one more procedure in 3 weeks.  I think it will be the final one, but if I continue to see improvement I will be well worth the cost and the discomfort.

• The Doctor and HIS - Ed like this

#23 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

Great update Normguy, glad you avoided the flare up this time. Good luck for the next treatment

Ed

#24 The Doctor

The Doctor

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:10 AM

Great news Norm. Feeling better and more positive about the scar area is key in my view. Really pleased for you. Can't see you needing any more sessions after next one possibly?

Keep us updated.

#25 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Went for my third, and probably final, needling procedure this week.  I actually will kind of miss the lady who is the practitioner.  She is one of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met. I felt so comfortable with her and her encouragement made me feel relaxed.  In fact she told me on my previous visit that in her eyes my scarring was much less noticeable then I probably was thinking. I know you fellows will related to this, but when I look at my head and see the scars, that is all I tend to see.  We know where the flaws are and our eyes just focus on these places and we tend not to see ourselves as others might.  It is only natural, I believe, but perhaps it makes self-acceptance harder to achieve.

Anyway, I had very minimal problems with my seb-derm after the second treatment.  In fact my scalp has never looked so healthy and normal.  Not in the 40 years I have been dealing with the seb-derm.  And when my hair started to grow back a bit I would look in the mirror and it looked like I was merely a balding guy with very short, stubbly hair on top.  I didn't see the redness and bumpiness that was always there before.  I wasn't sure if I was seeing only what I wanted to see, perhaps, but it did look much better.  So when Lisa looked at my scalp this week she was very pleased as well.  She took more pictures to document my progress.  I had a very rigorous treatment this time.  I told her the redness lasted longer after my second treatment.  She said that the circulation was improved on my scalp and that was a good sign. 

I signed a release for them to use my pictures and case study on their website, so if at some point I find out they have done that I will provide a link so everyone can check it out.  I think pictures that Lisa took would be better quality than any I might have taken, which I did not do.  So I am going to wait about four weeks for this last session to fully heal and then go back one more time so Lisa can check out the final results.  But IMO I have to say the results thus far are noticeable and very pleasing.  

#26 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:28 PM

Great to read a positive update from you Normguy. I very much doubt you are seeing what you want to see... we tend to err on the side of hyper critical.

Look forward to the next chapter.

Best wishes

Ed

#27 The Doctor

The Doctor

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:28 AM

Norm,

Is Lisa single ? :)

#28 Blue Smurf

Blue Smurf

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, UK

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

normguy1954....well done on going in there and getting this done.  It must be the most amazing feeling of relief knowing that you are now able to walk down the street without this awful worry.  I was reading today about women who had their breast implants removed.  They all said the very same thing in that they were tired of hiding a secret.  It was a mistake they made and something they no longer wanted.  Same with the HT.  It was supposed to make us feel better about ourselves.  t did the opposite.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#29 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:48 AM

I had to laugh when I read your question, The Doctor.  No, Lisa is not single, but if she were I'd be ahead of you in line.  She is really one of the sweetest and most reassuring people I have encountered.  She is perfect for the type of work she does at this clinic.  She is very professional, skilled, and yet makes you feel like she is also a friend.

It  has been a few weeks since my third, and probably last, needling treatment.  I have been able to keep my seb derm in check pretty much, so that hasn't been a factor in the healing process. I have to say that each time I had a session my scalp looked different.  This last time I think Lisa was extra aggressive as my scalp was very red and looked liked I had a very serious sunburn. None of the sessions were all that painful afterwards, but I do admit that the discomfort level was sometimes enough to make me squirm and grimace while the needling appliance was being used, even after Lisa applied some numbing cream.  But it was certainly bearable.

I waited until just the other day to look closely with a mirror at the top of my head.  I felt it had healed enough now for me to see if there was improvement.  And I have to say that the verdict is in.  YES.  I saw a scalp that was totally different from the one I had been seeing all these years.  The scarring from my original plug transplants had wreaked havoc with my scalp. I was embarrassed to have anyone see it even when my hair was longer and disguised it a bit. (My top hair was shaved for each treatment and it is just now starting to grow outt).

But now my scalp, although not perfect, looks so much better, and dare I say even more "normal" than I ever had anticipated.  I truly believe that if I kept my hair shaved or very closely cropped, I could walk out the door without a hat on and not feel self-conscious about people seeing the top of my head.  It looks that much better to me.  And as we all know, we are our own harshest critics. 

You can see some spots where the plug scars were, but the bumpiness has been smoothed down a lot and I can even feel the difference with my fingers when I rub my head.  To me it looked like a bald head that you might see on another guy my age (I am 60 now) with some spots or freckles, etc. but nothing out of the ordinary.  I wasn't sure what to expect but I have to say I am more than pleased with the results. 

I would recommend to anyone thinking about some sort of pre-SMP scar treatment to consider micro-needling. 

#30 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Absolutely delighted for you Normguy, it's been a great, well reported, journey.  Thanks.

#31 onamission

onamission

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationJAX

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

normguy1954,

Great post on the microneedling! I have actually had 1 session completed already. The problem is that I am not sure how much it helped. If it did, it was very little. I am scheduled to have a couple more. Here are some questions for you:

1) How much did your scalp improve with each session?

2) What size needle did Lisa use?

3) How raised were your cobblestoning? Were these from the old style plugs like mine

4) I have 500-1000 bumps from the plugs, about the size of small mosquito bites. How many do you have?

I would like for something to make a big difference, not a small one where the bumps may still be visible with the SMP. I am on the fence with continuing the micrneedling or just try the fraxel. Any thoughts from you or anyone else???

#32 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

I'll try to answer your questions.
I didn't look directly down at the top of my head either after or between sessions. The first few days after my scalp was all red anyway. I would only go by how much I could see from just looking straight on in the mirror at the top/front of my head. With hair shaved off it was easier to see too. I also went by feel. I could always feel the bumps and depressions with my fingers. I do know that after I shaved for the first session and looked directly with a hand-held mirror it made me feel sick to see the scarring.

I tried to judge by what Lisa said when I'd go back. I'm fighting seb derm as well and she commented that the overall health of my scalp was improving each time.

My transplants were from the early 1990's and the old plug type. The entire front half of my scalp was riddled with plug scars, but never counted them. But many bumps, indentations and constant redness.

I don't know what size needles were on the appliance. I could ask. But the reason she recommended needling over fraxel was that she'd be able to direct the appliance more specifically and aggressively where needed most. Plus it was cheaper. I think she was more aggressive each treatment. I could tell by how my head looked afterwards.

I had three treatments done. She has not seen me since the last one healed but I plan on stopping back next month for her to look and take one last photo. I signed a release so my case study with pictures could be used on their website. I'm the first client treated for scalp scarring. If it gets put online I'll share the URL for others to check out.

All I can say is this. To me, my scalp feels smoother and hardly bumpy at all now. When I used a hand mirror and looked closely recently it looked remarkably different and better to me. Not perfect, as that would be an impossible goal to achieve. But so much better that I would not be embarrassed now to be seen hatless, even with only a little stubbly hair up there that has grown back. I am more satisfied than I ever had hoped for.

Lisa stressed the importance of having a professional using a professional appliance over buying a needling device and doing it yourself. I would recommend someone giving this a try either as substitute for fraxel or as supplement to.

Hope this helps. Message me if you have more questions.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#33 BarryLee

BarryLee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

I would go for it if I had the cash available.

#34 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

I would go for it if I had the cash available.

I don't know how much fraxel would cost, or if it varies from place to place, or country to country.  I went to a clinic in Raleigh, NC, and the cost of each needling session was $250.  I thought that to be very reasonable.

I know there are places where you can get personal loans for medical procedures that are not covered by health insurance.  I set aside some money to cover any pre-SMP treatments and hopefully enough to cover the cost of the SMP if I decide to proceed with that.

Maybe you could look into getting a loan if you are serious about having anything done.  I wish you the best, regardless. 

#35 Asianguy

Asianguy

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:23 AM

Anyone try micro needling on FUE scars with 1mm punch? Will it help with making the white dots less visible?

#36 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

I didn't have the needling done on any FUE scars. Just old plug-type recipient scars that were very noticeable. It really helped diminish them and I'd imagine you'd get good results with other scars as well. Mine were old scars too. I'd recommend the procedure to anyone dealing with scarring.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#37 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 31 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

I am usually wary of evidence from a single source, but your well documented journey here leaves not much room for doubt that micro needling has the potential to help anyone coming to HIS for camouflage treatment. The improvement in your seb derm after all that time sounds remarkable, which testifies to treatments like mesotherapy, of which micro needling is a variant, and their ability to do something about seemingly impossible situations.

Thanks again for sharing Normguy, no doubt it will make informative reading for the many who will read it in the future.

#38 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

I am usually wary of evidence from a single source, but your well documented journey here leaves not much room for doubt that micro needling has the potential to help anyone coming to HIS for camouflage treatment. The improvement in your seb derm after all that time sounds remarkable, which testifies to treatments like mesotherapy, of which micro needling is a variant, and their ability to do something about seemingly impossible situations.

Thanks again for sharing Normguy, no doubt it will make informative reading for the many who will read it in the future.

Ed, thanks for your post.  I am glad my experience has been helpful to others.  We are all in this together and getting support, even from strangers, is quite valuable.  

I went back to the clinic where I had the treatments done recently just to have the lady check one last time to see the final results.  I wanted to wait until I knew the healing was complete.  She was so thrilled.  I signed a release form and she took some more photos.  I agreed to let them use my case study and photos on their website.  So if I find out that has been done I would share the URL here so other guys could see the results.

I have been going places and meeting people without a hat on quite a bit lately.  A real first for me.  No one even knows me without my hat on, after all these years.  I never felt comfortable doing that before.  Now all I need to do is decide about getting SMP on the scarred areas on the back of my head.  Hopefully that will be the final touch for me. 

I have appreciated all the information I have gleaned from this forum.  It has been most beneficial. 

• hollyj and HIS - Ed like this

#39 bidnessboi

bidnessboi

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

WHat do you guys do in between sessions? Baseball cap? I mean, preparing for a SMP session, I am guessing they shave you down for the fraxel? How do you cover that up between fraxel sessions?

_________

Disregard. Missed a page. I get the idea. Thanks.

#40 Asianguy

Asianguy

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:01 AM

Anyone ever tried needling w/ the Derminator? I just ordered one for facial scars but will also try on FUE and pitting scars.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users