#1 Stubbletown

Stubbletown

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

POPULAR

Just some things I have learned from going thru this process. It might be helpful to others considering SMP or people having the same experiences.

1: It's normal to go very conservative the 1st session. You almost have to not look at it too much, which is really hard to do. Think of it as a template.

2: The lymph nodes behind my ears swelled up after session one. A week later, they are still swollen. I also feel VERY fatigued. I have no idea why. It must be the immune system dealing with a wound?

3: The week following session one is a very long one and can be very emotional. This whole SMP process is emotional, depending on how balding has affected you over the years.

4: Session 2 looks much better than the first.

5: The small scabs and texture from the wounding actually look great for the first few days after the treatment. It adds to the realism. It's very disappointing when they go away and the balding scalp is smooth again.

6: I wish I was warned a little bit more about how difficult it will be in my case to maintain the 2D illusion in the crown/horseshoe area. The hair on the back of my head is very thick, dark and dense. Any more than 24 hours of growth and I've got big texture differences. I'm def going to need a 3rd session. Even then, the horseshoe area will be difficult to maintain (but I trust my practicioner 100% to strike the best balance on session 3) I'm not going to want anyone standing close behind me in line at a grocery store.

7: If you do share this SMP experience with a partner, wife or girlfriend, it is advisable to not wear them out with your worries about how it looks. Sure, get feedback from them, but don't obsess. Practice self control.

8: SMP looks unbelievably realistic from 3-10 feet away in medium to low lighting. Don't stare at it in the bathroom mirror under harsh light bulbs from 8 inches away-- it's not going to look good under those circumstances.

9: Think of this treatment as more of a hack than a cure. I know that's a very simple idea, but the reality of that settles in once you have the treatment.

10: If you decide to only tell a select few about this, choose them wisely. Friendships and family can be complicated -- and real, true trust is elusive.

11: Avoid side fills if you can. (I didn't have them done)

12: for me, it was important to have a receded look, as if I was a man who has just started to bald and decided to shave his head. My practitioner did a great job at acheiving this.

13: I have always had the sides and back of my hair grown out and almost always wear a hat. Everyone around me is used to that. But now weraing a hat with completely shaved head makes me look older, more tired, and severe. It's a tradeoff. But it's better to have the treatment and not have that constant worry of your hat coming off. My goal is to not wear hats in a few weeks. But that's just hard to imagine right now.

14: Overall I'm very happy with the treatment, but for now I'm just being realistic and cautious. Despite being really impressive, this is only a 2D illusion of hair and has it's limitations-- depending on the individual. I am just going to have to wait and see how this settles over the next few weeks. It's going to be a long road.

15: My practitioner is very experienced and talented, albeit a bit rushed. My suggestion to HIS would be to not overload the practitioners' schedules. They need to be happy, healthy and relaxed for this kind of work. It cannot be easy to concentrate on making tens of thousands of dots for hours on end while maintaining best practices.

• Damien, iHAIR, still on it and 7 others like this

#2 CDC

CDC

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMacclesfield

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:15 PM

Awesome post !

#3 youngandbaldguy

youngandbaldguy

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:54 AM

Great post! When you said it doesn't look that great from 8 inches away, what did you mean? Are the dogs a little bigger then the hair follicle? Or the harsh lighting make its kind of disappear?

#4 youngandbaldguy

youngandbaldguy

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:55 AM

Dots not dogs, sorry about the auto corret

#5 CDC

CDC

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMacclesfield

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

The dots have to be slightly bigger than a hair follicle due to it being a pigment not hair, any smaller and they disappear.

#6 Stubbletown

Stubbletown

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Great post! When you said it doesn't look that great from 8 inches away, what did you mean? Are the dogs a little bigger then the hair follicle? Or the harsh lighting make its kind of disappear?

I meant when you are under harsh bathroom mirrors from 8 inches away. It looks pretty damn good from 8 inches away after about a week under normal lighting. At least my girlfriend -- who would not BS about something like that -- says so. And yes, it's not hard to find some combination of angle and reflectivity to make the treatment look like it goes away if you are staring at it and moving around under lights. But you have to resist doing that. I'm trying my best to not do those things. I'm one week after my second tretment, and it's still very light. I still have a heavy horseshoe outline on the back of my head. I was quoted for three sessions, so that's what I must mentally adapt to as far as my expectations. I was hoping to attend a wedding hatless 2.5 weeks after my second session, but it's not ready for prime time. I still just look like a bald guy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users