• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:59 AM

POPULAR

**Correction, Almost Four Years On**

Hi all,

It's nearly been four years since my first treatment so thought I would share some of my experiences since having the treatment done. The first thing I would like to say is I do not regret getting this treatment done whatsoever.

The main reason I got this treatment done was because I was receding at the temples and knew it would get worse; therefore, I took the plunge. I was only 22 when I received the treatment, and now at nearly 26, I have spent a large part of my twenties bald. Many of my friends and people the same age are clinging to the hair they have left, and few have taken the plunge and shaved it. I will now take this opportunity to answer some questions.

Has having the treatment changed the way the opposite sex have looked at me?

It is hard to say, because despite having SMP, I have never really been short of female attention. The only time I really did wish I had hair was when I went to Magaluf in 2014, and the place was filled with Terminators with great tans and tremendous heads of hair. In all fairness, I felt I probably would have looked better over there if I had hair but maybe that's just my own insecurities.

Have I told many people about the treatment?

I have told only a select number of people. My mum, brother, some close friends, my ex girlfriend (when we were together I got the treatment done) and my current girlfriend. One thing I will say is be very careful about this if you care about people knowing. I was somewhat betrayed by a friend who told some people about me having the treatment which resulted in me losing that friend. Relationships will fall apart, and information about yourself and the treatment is something you can never take back, so be cautious and don't piss off an ex girlfriend.

Have I ever been called out on the treatment?

I can honestly say I have never been called out on the treatment. It has even been to the extent where someone brought up the fact they saw a head tattoo being featured on a show the previous night and I still wasn't called out. I know in some situations this could be a sly way of trying to gauge a reaction if someone had a suspicion; however, this person genuinely did not know. All I could do was act amazed that there was such a concept, and the conversation eventually moved on. Having said that, there have been a few comments over the years which have come in the form of "your hair looks painted/drawn on" but those were by no means comments that were aimed at the fact that I have a tattoo on my head but merely observations. I merely laughed them off.

Any general comments on the treatment?

I have had many compliments over the years from people that do not know I have had this done. I have had comments like "you have a movie star's hairline", and some people act with genuine curiosity as to why I shave my head at all which is the most common question. To anyone contemplating getting this done, be prepared for this. Due to having had a number of jobs since the treatment, usually my work colleagues will wait a while to get to know me before asking the inevitable "why do you shave your head?" question. Over the years I've got so used to answering this question and I usually say that it's because I like it. I've even been told by a couple of people to grow my hair so they can see what I look like. The frequent asking about why I shave my head can be annoying; however, this really is a testament to the treatment itself. If I was clearly bald with no sign of hair, then I can imagine these questions would not be asked due to the obvious. Therefore, it really is a positive to how natural and untraceable the treatment is.

Have I bumped into anyone who has had the treatment?

I bumped into one person in a Glasgow nightclub who had the treatment done and his looked perfect. We spotted each other instantly and it was such a funny experience because we both knew that we had the treatment and had a laugh about it. I have also spotted a few people in the street over the years and have been able to tell but only because I've been so used to looking at my own head.

Closing thoughts?

This is a great treatment, and I cannot speak any more highly of it. Some advice I will give is try and go for as natural a hairline (and side profiles) as possible. I did not need any treatment on my side profiles; therefore, it is really only my hairline and halfway up my head that has the treatment. By being as natural as possible, there will be less of a chance of being called out. And also, the shaving is a pain at times - especially when you're tired but it beats the alternative.

Any questions, then ask away.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• shabba.png

• SebDerm, hairhair98, JDawg and 6 others like this
Click here to view my progress diary - 4 treatments so far: August 2011, January 2012, May 2012 and August 2012.

#2 Dr Carter

Dr Carter

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationBrixton, London

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

Mate..no real questions to ask but just wanted to comment on how much the treatment has changed your life which is great. Pic looks great too, congrats buddy!

#3 MrOnTheFence

MrOnTheFence

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:54 AM

Why do you think you got the "your hair looks painted on "comments? Based on your hairline?

#4 MrOnTheFence

MrOnTheFence

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

For the record I question your hairline being the reason because you also said you get compliments that it's like a celebrities hairline. Does it look "too perfect" to some people?

#5 analyzer

analyzer

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

awesome post- when you say your wish you had hair at Magaluf, were you saying that in that moment you wished you would have not gotten SMP and just grown out the hair you had left, or you are saying you just wish you could somehow have had a full head of hair?

#6 JDawg

JDawg

Super Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:26 AM

Just curious what Norwood level you were, how many treatments you had done and what shades were used? Looks very good from the pic...

#7 Conhair

Conhair

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thanks DrCarter.

MrOnTheFence the comment in question about having a movie star's hairline was in a dimly lit nightclub which really does the treatment a lot of justice as it brings out the density. The guy who made the comment was receding, and said he had only just shaved off his hair. Therefore, he was making an observation that I don't even need to shave it due to having a "good head of hair."

With regards to your painted on question, it was a comment on a Facebook picture taken during the day at a music festival - i'll try and dig out the picture. It was from a woman too. I left it as I didn't want to ask what the person meant and delve deeper raising more awareness.

To bring attention to this though, this is a complete fraction of people who have said this which is why it didn't bother me.

Analyzer, because a lot of the people that go to places like Magaluf are Geordie Shore replicas, I saw an abundance of very muscley guys with terrific heads of hair; thus, making me a minority I suppose.

Having said that, it's nothing to do with the treatment itself but merely an observation. I certainly would have felt bad going with a bald head without the treatment as I would have looked way older.

JDawg I was a Norwood 2 at the time of the treatment. You can see pictures from my progress diary along with the shades used as I can't remember to hand.
Click here to view my progress diary - 4 treatments so far: August 2011, January 2012, May 2012 and August 2012.

#8 Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:07 PM

Nice topic mate. I have a couple of questions, how has the fading held up in that time? I presume you are very careful with sunscreen while in the sun, but have you needed touch ups? Also, the one time I personally still feel bald is when out at night under streetlights. Do you ever feel like a baldy under certain lighting? 

I agree with you about the undetectability though. Mine has never raised a suspicion but I do worry about the awkward day when I see a HIShair advert on TV while sitting with a prospective girlfriend lol. Reminds me of when those hair-system adverts would come on the radio when I'd be driving girls around in my wig days.

#9 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:39 PM

Nice 1 pal, good to hear you're still enjoying it. Just been through your diary thread. Good to see another Glasgow boy on here!

#10 Conhair

Conhair

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

Thanks Kojak, I don't notice any fading at all so far. There's not much sun to worry about in Glasgow but when on holiday, I always apply sunscreen. I have needed no touch ups at all thus far, and that's with minimal after care as I don't really apply moisturiser unless my scalp is a bit dry.

To be honest, in my opinion harsh lighting brings out the worst in the treatment but even at that every treatment has its side effects. I'd take that any day over worrying about hair loss.

Yeah there have been a couple of moments where SMP has been showcased on those nip tuck shows and my stomach has dropped with the paranoia that someone will go onto my Facebook page and then begin scrolling through my photo albums but that's only a momentary thing. That's a paranoia I'm going to have to get over.

Cheers HBK, your treatment is still holding up well.

#11 toddnw7

toddnw7

Regular Poster

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUnited states

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

What happens under harsh lighting?

#12 Hairkiller

Hairkiller

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:48 PM

What happens under harsh lighting?

As real shaven heads you'll look bald, because of the light -the same reason you can not see stars in the city -a light pollution comparison-.
Yes, shaved heads look bald under harsh lights!

#13 Hairkiller

Hairkiller

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationBarcelona, Spain.

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:49 PM

I'm guessing you are not using any anti-shine. The painted look comment has an easy solution, talc + anti-shine = completely real look.
Yes, shaved heads look bald under harsh lights!

#14 Conhair

Conhair

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

Toddnw7 it just doesn't look as great as it would. Having said that, that doesn't mean that you should be paranoid about what kind of lighting you are under with the fear of it looking fake because I don't even think about it. I just know from experience.
  • Hairkiller likes this

#15 Conhair

Conhair

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hairkiller I don't bother with anti shine because I grudge paying the money, and at the end of he day it is a bald head and it will still be a bald head regardless of whether you're applying a matte lotion to it. That's just my opinion though and I'm sure it does the job for other gents on here at reducing shine. One thing I've noticed though is that there is more of a shine if I apply moisturiser after a shower as I always wet shave my head every couple of days.

I just looked back there and the painted comment was made about 2 weeks after I had my last session in 2012 so it does look a lot darker than it does now. Nothing like that has been mentioned since. I've attached the picture in question.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-02-27 13.54.12.png

• Hairkiller likes this

#16 damngenetics

damngenetics

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationunited kingdom

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

What shade was that pal to start with? Looks quite dark there

#17 HatingHats

HatingHats

Engineer and Questioning Skeptic

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

Good post Conhair. I like the part about not having trouble with the lady folk. You stud you, get some for us! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Family guy, Electrical Engineer, HIS SMPer and Dwemer Tonal Architect

SMP treatments finished on July 12th, 2013

Went from Norwood 4.5 to a realistic Norwood 1 - Pretty happy with my results!

Religions are based on faith, and Science takes nothing on faith and tests everything.  I prefer Science, It just works bitches!

#18 SebDerm

SebDerm

Super Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Looks great fella. I hope mine stays looking good; not even at the 2 year mark yet if I go by my main treatment.

1st Treatment: 31st Oct 2012.
2nd Treatment: 7th Nov 2012.

3rd Treatment: 5th Jan 2013.
4th Treatment: 28th Feb 2013
5th Treatment: 5th June 2013.
6th Treatment: 30th October 2013.

#19 Conhair

Conhair

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

Damngenetics, from looking at my progress diary the ink was 30.

HatingHats, it really hasn't had an impact haha. I told my current girlfriend about it only recently and I recall a conversation we had a while before I told her. I asked a hypothetical would you prefer me with longer hair question (as she thought I could grow it) to see what she'd say, and she said she likes it the way it is. Result!

#20 Conhair

Conhair

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Sebderm and I'm sure yours will hold up fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users