#1 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:55 AM

Well I think it's time for lasering this off I'm afraid.

After previously getting asked a few months ago why my hair looked drawn on and why I had a "black line round my head", tonight someone told me how my hair looked painted on.

This is no way to live, I'm always more paranoid than I ever was when I was just balding.

#2 toddnw7

toddnw7

Regular Poster

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUnited states

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:14 AM

This is why I'm glad I didn't go through with it. I wet shave and while a shadow would be nice, I much prefer no shadow then having people know one is painted on with to large of dots. Hope everything works out man.
  • HBK and jered like this

#3 Tosspot

Tosspot

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationWest-Yorkshire

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

I don't get that.
Your treatment looks really good since the lasering. But photos can be deceiving.
  • HBK likes this

#4 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:03 AM

I don't get that.
Your treatment looks really good since the lasering. But photos can be deceiving.

Thanks man. That's comforting at least. I don't know what to think now to be honest. Devastated!

#5 nicksterkemper

nicksterkemper

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationunited states

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:13 AM

Yeah just looked at your recent pics, looks good to me too. Try to put up some more pics.

• HBK likes this

#6 horseshoe

horseshoe

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:40 AM

HBK I checked out your thread and the pictures look great! Nice blend and very natural hairline. Tough to imagine you've been called out twice for it. How did it happen the second time around, was it coworkers again?

• HBK likes this

#7 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

HBK I checked out your thread and the pictures look great! Nice blend and very natural hairline. Tough to imagine you've been called out twice for it. How did it happen the second time around, was it coworkers again?

Was at work again yeah. Was an older guy who I wouldn't think has a clue what SMP is. Wasn't like he was taking the piss, just making an observation. He said it looked painted on then took a closer look and said "that's weird" and away he went. My pal was with me at the time and I laughed it off just and that was it. At least it wasn't a crowd of people this time.

#8 hairhair98

hairhair98

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:00 AM

POPULAR

Hmm, well i really feel bad that you've had to hear comments like that.  Here's my take on the situation. 

First of all, your FUE scars look amazing... some of the best i've seen.  Also, the previously bald spot on your crown looks perfect to me.

Your treatment is one of the best looking ones here, but photographs can be tricky to gauge something like this by... it could be that the reason your treatment looks so good in photographs to us, is because in real life it looks too dark/dense/whatever.  Many of us want our treatments to look dark like hair, instead of a light grey shadow... but i feel like there is a dangerously thin line between 'dark like hair' and 'unnaturally dark'. 

In this post, your pictures/treatment look fantastic... it looks like a flawless full head of hair... but based on those shots it does look somewhat aggressively dark to me.  Some of those pictures also look aggressively dense, to me.  That doesn't mean that they are in real life... it's just my take based on those photographs.  It could be a possibility that the density/darkness is slightly too aggressive, especially on the top and hairline areas of your head.  This could be remedied by laser, both to decrease density, and to lighten some of the pigments.  Whether or not that is the reason for the comments, i dont know.

This is what stands out more to me... the way your hairline joins your temple, almost on a straight line from the forehead.... and if i saw you out in public (based only on this photograph at this angle), i would quickly think SMP (but remember i have been scrutinizing SMP for years).  The more time i spend with SMP and reading about SMP, the more i believe that the absolute best hairline shape for undetectability is moderate to aggressively receded temples.  Here is a rough example of what i am talking about.  Many people join the hairline to the temple in an almost straight line, or sometimes even in a downward slope... but to me it is a dead give away for SMP, especially if you are are in your mid 20's or older.  Note that this doesn't necessarily mean it always looks 'bad'... it's just that to me, on some people, that design can sometimes look unnatural.  This could be remedied by laser, to give yourself more recession at the temples, which would (in my opinion) be a much more natural look for you.

Honestly, you have a lot of hair left... and based on this before photo, i think that your head would still look awesome even if you pulled the hairline all the way back to where it naturally is (especially on the corners like i discussed above), even if it was somewhat thin or irregular at the hairline.

So that is hopefully some useful feedback for you.  Remember, i could be way off about what's really going on... these are just some thoughts based on a few specific photos. 

I still think your treatment looks pretty awesome as it is... but we cant ignore the fact that you are getting called out on it... so there must be an issue somewhere.  Personally i dont think you should give up on it yet, as i think SMP is well suited for you... i would see if HIS might work with you to try and get whatever is causing these people to notice it taken care of. 

I also want to mention one more time that your FUE work, and crown coverage is a huge improvement over the bald spot on your crown that you previously had.  Worst case scenario, i would remove the top and hairline, but keep the smp on the crown and FUE... because even if you grew your hair back out long, the SMP would help cover those areas up.

I feel for you, man, but dont give up hope yet.  HIS has a good history of turning situations like this around.

• HBK, SebDerm, gunner and 4 others like this

7 treatments in 2013 at Chicago and NYC

My Diary:  http://forum.hishair...ncludes-photos/

#9 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:57 AM

Thanks a lot for the feedback hairhair98. I value your opinion and really appreciate you taking the time to look into it in so much detail. It's given me plenty to think about!

I think you may be right about the density / darkness. The darkest pigment I had was 22 and my hair is very dark as well so if anything I think the issue is more likely to be the density.

#10 pointy1

pointy1

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hey HBK, its a shame to see you got found out again. Really feel bad for you mate. Shouldnt have be paranoid when getting this treatment done.

Im trying to figure out if "black line around my head" means hairline or could it be blending from top of head SMP to real hair on sides/back?

Your treatment looks good in photos but could it be too dense when seen in person? I know when taking pictures of SMP so many variables like lighting\hair length\ camera angle can make it look so different!

What is your hair length in the photos?
Have you told anyone that you have had this treatment and if so could they give you an honest opinion?

Pictures dont really give the best view however if you could post a few more from different angles\lighting we mite be able to help more.

Good luck mate with what you decide.

#11 HatingHats

HatingHats

Engineer and Questioning Skeptic

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:15 AM

Check your messages HBK when you get time bud.

Family guy, Electrical Engineer, HIS SMPer and Dwemer Tonal Architect

SMP treatments finished on July 12th, 2013

Went from Norwood 4.5 to a realistic Norwood 1 - Pretty happy with my results!

Religions are based on faith, and Science takes nothing on faith and tests everything.  I prefer Science, It just works bitches!

#12 damngenetics

damngenetics

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Locationunited kingdom

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:17 AM

This is what worries me hence asking so many questions. Trying to build up the courage to go ahead with it is proving difficult.
  • Blazini likes this

#13 tomandj33ry

tomandj33ry

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationcarlisle

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Just had a look at your pictures I think it looks amazing mate!!!
  • HBK likes this

#14 MrOnTheFence

MrOnTheFence

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

This is what worries me hence asking so many questions. Trying to build up the courage to go ahead with it is proving difficult.

Yes indeed....I had just recently again decided I would go through with it...now I read this...I appreciate the many honest experiences that get reported here. Looks like I'm back on the fence.

#15 Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

From the photos your treatment looks very realistic. My only thought is that since you have so much real hair left, there could be some blending issues that are only apparent in real life. Me personally, I am basically a cue ball when shaved down so what you see is almost entirely SMP. I've never had any of the comments you've experienced, in fact I get irritated by the number of girls who nicely suggest hairstyles for me to grow out. 

Before you laser it off, perhaps give some thought to adjusting the hairline as others have suggested. Or even just shaving your existing hair a different way. 

It's important to meet clients in real life and judge the treatment for yourself. Don't just go by photos or by taking people at their word on here. I think half the time people are suspicious not because a treatment looks fake, but they think "why would someone with such a great head of hair shave it all off like that?". In other words, if a treatment is "too good" it can raise more suspicions than a receeding and faded treatment.

• David1963 and SebDerm like this

#16 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

Check your messages HBK when you get time bud.

Reply sent, thanks for the support man

#17 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

From the photos your treatment looks very realistic. My only thought is that since you have so much real hair left, there could be some blending issues that are only apparent in real life. Me personally, I am basically a cue ball when shaved down so what you see is almost entirely SMP. I've never had any of the comments you've experienced, in fact I get irritated by the number of girls who nicely suggest hairstyles for me to grow out. 

Before you laser it off, perhaps give some thought to adjusting the hairline as others have suggested. Or even just shaving your existing hair a different way. 

It's important to meet clients in real life and judge the treatment for yourself. Don't just go by photos or by taking people at their word on here. I think half the time people are suspicious not because a treatment looks fake, but they think "why would someone with such a great head of hair shave it all off like that?". In other words, if a treatment is "too good" it can raise more suspicions than a receeding and faded treatment.

You might be right kojak, I'm not sure. I find that my treatment is slightly dark to get away with totally shaved bald so I normally wet shave with the grain the night before which leaves a little bit of stubble the next day which length suits the darkness of my treatment I think. I shave the back and sides again every morning because of the FUE scars so it's only the top which has the stubble. Maybe the combined darkness of both the treatment and the stubble make it look like "painted on" to people, I don't really know

#18 JohnnyUtah

JohnnyUtah

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

I think your treatment looks A+ man. There's always going to be someone to nitpick the way someone else appears. Perhaps, think of some witty comebacks to shut your coworkers up because I'm sure they weren't born perfect. Good luck bud!

#19 toddnw7

toddnw7

Regular Poster

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationUnited states

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:16 PM

I think your treatment looks A+ man. There's always going to be someone to nitpick the way someone else appears. Perhaps, think of some witty comebacks to shut your coworkers up because I'm sure they weren't born perfect. Good luck bud!

No offense but I feel this isn't a completely sincere reply. Obviously he has some real issues with it being spotted by untrained eyes. That's not desirable. The last older guy wasn't being a jerk just being honest. It might be a good thing so he knows for sure the treatment he has now is detectable. I really respect op's honesty and hope things work out. Knowing that it can be lasered off if all else fails is a good thing. I still haven't ruled this treatment out but if I do get it it will be super light and receded. Hopefully whoever I go to will be honest and tell me if this is possible. This treatment isn't worth it if random people call you out on it.

#20 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

POPULAR

HIS to their credit, have offered me a free laser session and follow up SMP session if required. Can't fault them at all, HIS and their staff & practitioners have always been excellent to deal with.
  • Stubble Mick, WestSide, toddnw7 and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users