#1 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:44 AM

I went for a consult in Toronto yesterday (Jan. 16, 2015) and spoke to a nice guy there.  My main concern is scarring.  Most posts and case studies deal with scarring in the back, which I do have.  But my first transplants many years ago were the old plug kind.  On top, in front, I have some scarring, like what they call cobble stoning, and some red discoloration.  I wonder if anyone has had good results in disguising these kind of scars?  I wish I could see someone in person who has had similar scarring treated.

Also, I had in mind to have only the areas where I still have hair done with SMP, but leave my bald spot on crown as it is.  So I would look like I am still bald there but filled in and enhanced in the back, sides and top/front.  The clinician recommended that I fill in the whole top and blend it in with the rest.  Has anyone opted to not have the entire bald crown treated?  I hope I am saying this so it makes sense.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Woke up in the middle of the night with all this on my mind.  I am sure others have experienced restlessness and a little anxiety when trying to decide what to do.  

#2 Remingtonchap

Remingtonchap

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationWest midlands uk favela

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

Jimbojet had a very suttle treatment years ago might be worth a look..
http://forum.hishair...look-with-pics/

He wanted the freddy lumberg look..going thin but not technically bald..
It works..

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• normguy1954 likes this

#3 Damien

Damien

HIS Legend

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

I went for a consult in Toronto yesterday (Jan. 16, 2015) and spoke to a nice guy there.  My main concern is scarring.  Most posts and case studies deal with scarring in the back, which I do have.  But my first transplants many years ago were the old plug kind.  On top, in front, I have some scarring, like what they call cobble stoning, and some red discoloration.  I wonder if anyone has had good results in disguising these kind of scars?  I wish I could see someone in person who has had similar scarring treated.

Also, I had in mind to have only the areas where I still have hair done with SMP, but leave my bald spot on crown as it is.  So I would look like I am still bald there but filled in and enhanced in the back, sides and top/front.  The clinician recommended that I fill in the whole top and blend it in with the rest.  Has anyone opted to not have the entire bald crown treated?  I hope I am saying this so it makes sense.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Woke up in the middle of the night with all this on my mind.  I am sure others have experienced restlessness and a little anxiety when trying to decide what to do.  

Personally I would have the whole thing done. I think you'll gain more satisfaction that way, as you'll no longer look like you're balding. It would be a shame to do this and not complete the job, if you know what I mean.

You might want to consider some pre-treatment laser. Fraxel laser repair will help to smooth out your scar tissue, and Vbeam laser will help to remove the redness. You should see these links:

http://www.hishaircl...ansplant-scars/

http://www.hishaircl...ansplant-scars/

http://www.smpguru.c...ropigmentation/

Please note: I no longer work for HIS Hair Clinic. Please direct any questions to info@hishairclinic.com.

#4 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:02 AM

Damien, thank you for your reply.

To be honest, I have had many V-beam laser treatments in the past to help with facial redness that I suffered from for many years.  I saw very little improvement, however, after spending thousands of dollars. Not sure if it would be different with my transplant scars.  My consultant looked at the scarring in the back and seemed to think it was doable.  He did not raise any major concerns as to them being too extreme. Although with the length of my hair at present it might not be as easy to tell as it will when I get the back shaved.  I have both plug donor scars and a linear incision scar.

I have considered looking into having fraxel done on the top/front where I have some cobble stoning scars from my early plug transplants.  There is some mild redness too that has never completely gone away.   If I did have it done, I am not sure how long I would have to wait before beginning SMP sessions. Any thoughts on this?

About doing my whole head.  I just turned 60 years old.  I have not had hair all over my head in 40 years.  I have hair on the back, sides, and what is left of the transplanted hair on the top/front.  I don't really want to look like I suddenly have a full head of hair that is just shaved.  It is not a look I think would suit me at this stage.  If I had very good results from doing the top and back I might consider it, but it is not my goal now.  If I were younger, perhaps.  But the baldness is not what bothers me.  It is not having enough hair to cover the scarring, and not being able to buzz the hair I do have because the scars would show even more.  I see guys with shaved heads and bald crowns and I don't find it an unattractive look at all. 

In your experience, without naming individuals, could I expect similar results with my scar coverage from any technician, or are there ones who specialize in this type of work whom I might seek out:\?  I am a bit flexible as to what clinic I go to.  As long as I find someone who agrees with my choice of keeping my receding hairline (which the guy I saw did) and would acquiesce to my choice concerning doing or not doing the crown.  

Also, I spend hours reading these posts.  I want to tell you that I appreciate your input and your effort.  You take a lot of time to respond and suggest things that are very helpful to us all.  

#5 hollyj

hollyj

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Locationsouth west

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Normguy1954,

my scarring and hair situation is almost exactly the same as you and i'm also the same age (i'm 61) i'm looking to have the same level of treatment as you and was all set to book it when i found out the guy i wanted had left HIS.

I was really unhappy about this as it had taken me so long to decide on who to go with. So any way i'm now trying to see who else i would like to do this at HIS but am not having much luck at the moment.

I will probably go up to Birmingham on the next open day, and hopefully meet and talk with some of the newer guys.

And see some of their work.

If you look at my diary there was some pics on there showing my situation.

#6 Plugsgone

Plugsgone

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:20 AM

I have had the whole head done, the cobble scars at the front have covered realy well, you can hardly see them, still more to do on the back but getting there.

• normguy1954 likes this

#7 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:44 PM

I have had the whole head done, the cobble scars at the front have covered realy well, you can hardly see them, still more to do on the back but getting there.

Do you have any pics of the cobble stoning on top now that it is done?  Did the whole area seem redder than the rest of your scalp before the treatment?  I have so little hair left on top, even after my transplants and then a transplant correction.  You can see pretty much the whole area and the scars and redness are prominent.  I saw one video on this site (will have to look it up again) where the guy had real bad cobble scarring on top.  It showed before and after, side by side, when he had the SMP done.  It really was amazing.  I am hoping for good results on top and keeping that hair either buzzed or shaved.  The rest I hope to fill in the areas where the scarring can still show through, like a permanent dermablend, as someone said, and see how that goes with my hair as short as possible.  Or I might try it all totally shaved if the scarring is disguised enough.

Thanks, 

Norm

#8 Plugsgone

Plugsgone

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:09 AM

Do you have any pics of the cobble stoning on top now that it is done?  Did the whole area seem redder than the rest of your scalp before the treatment?  I have so little hair left on top, even after my transplants and then a transplant correction.  You can see pretty much the whole area and the scars and redness are prominent.  I saw one video on this site (will have to look it up again) where the guy had real bad cobble scarring on top.  It showed before and after, side by side, when he had the SMP done.  It really was amazing.  I am hoping for good results on top and keeping that hair either buzzed or shaved.  The rest I hope to fill in the areas where the scarring can still show through, like a permanent dermablend, as someone said, and see how that goes with my hair as short as possible.  Or I might try it all totally shaved if the scarring is disguised enough.

Thanks, 

Norm

I had the whole head done, its taken 6 months to get to were I am today and what a change, you can not see the plug scars at all at the front of my head unless you put a pair of reading glasses on

• HIS - Ed likes this

#9 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

I had the whole head done, its taken 6 months to get to were I am today and what a change, you can not see the plug scars at all at the front of my head unless you put a pair of reading glasses on

Sounds good.  I am glad it worked out for you. 

#10 The Doctor

The Doctor

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:12 AM

I had 2 Fraxel sessions on the top of my head to smooth out the cobblestone area.

I also had 2 laser sessions on top of my head to kill the old HT hairs that were thin, tufty and unsightly.

Both sessions worked very well and I would highly recommend to anyone in a similar situation.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#11 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

I had 2 Fraxel sessions on the top of my head to smooth out the cobblestone area.

I also had 2 laser sessions on top of my head to kill the old HT hairs that were thin, tufty and unsightly.

Both sessions worked very well and I would highly recommend to anyone in a similar situation.

I am glad you had good results.  I am having one more micro-needling treatment next week.  

Several years ago I had some repair transplant surgery done by a doctor in Toronto, Canada. He added some new hair  on top and also broke up the old plugs and redistributed that hair so it isn't all lumped in certain areas.  So I am not sure about having hair removed from on top.  I will wait and see how the needling treatment works for the cobble stoning. If my practitioner thinks that more could be achieved with some fraxel, I might try that as well.

Thanks for your input.

#12 The Doctor

The Doctor

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

Norm,

I'm not familiar with micro needing but in my experience, even if you have one Fraxel session it'll be worth it. I was surprised after only having one session, that the cobblestone area smoothed out instantly, I was thinking I needed 7-8 sessions on top of head, but I'm happy after only 2 Fraxel sessions. I have a much smoother head where the cobblestone effect is hardly noticeably.

good luck
  • Help44 likes this

#13 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

Norm,

I'm not familiar with micro needing but in my experience, even if you have one Fraxel session it'll be worth it. I was surprised after only having one session, that the cobblestone area smoothed out instantly, I was thinking I needed 7-8 sessions on top of head, but I'm happy after only 2 Fraxel sessions. I have a much smoother head where the cobblestone effect is hardly noticeably.

good luck

Micro-needling is just the professional form of what guys on here call Derma-rolling.  When I spoke with the practitioner about Fraxel she said  the needling would perhaps have the same result only it is cheaper.  So I am trying it for two sessions.  After that she said we could try the Fraxel if it seemed more improvement might be achievable.  

#14 onamission

onamission

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationJAX

Posted 26 August 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hi guys! I just joined this forum today but have read many of your posts concerning Fraxel Laser. It has given me a lot of hope!!!

I too have had multiple hair transplants and have the cobblestone look from the old plugs inserted in the early 1990's. I have a lot of bumps, probably 500 to 1,000 slightly elevated on top of the scalp from these plugs. I have already had dermabrasion which helped a little but not enough. My goal like so many of you is to obtain a smooth as possible scalp and than get SMP. I have consulted various doctors from all over the country and have received different responses. Some say dermabrasion, some say steroid injections and some say fraxel. Others say that not much works.. I refuse to believe that we are stuck! After ready so many positive reviews about fraxel laser, I feel like I need to dive deeper into this subject. We are all here to help one another and what I really need is specific details:

What Doctor did you use for those that had success with Fraxel? For example, Fishtail had used a doctor in Miami with success. I live in Florida and am curious who he used...

Fraxel has many different options (Dual, Repair, Restore etc...). For those of you that had success, which one did you use???? The type of fraxel I think I need is the ablative one for raised scarring I believe. I am going to get some consultations but expect for many Dermatologists and plastic surgeons to tell me that they have never treated the cobblestoning with Laser resurfacing. This has already happened a couple of tomes. This is why I am reaching out to all of you that can provide me with information to help me out so I can go to someone with experience and not be an experiment.

Thanks in advance!!!

#15 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

Onamission, I am going to jump in here and tell you of a thread I started about micro-needling that is also in this "world scar diaries" section.  I had sought out fraxel for my cobble stone scarring as well but ended up having something different done.  Check it out and you might find it interesting.  I am going to give another update right now.

Best of luck to you.  Message me at any time if you have questions.

Thanks.

• HIS - Ed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users