#1 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hello.  New guy here from the Buffalo, NY area (USA).  Greetings to all and thanks for the  honest and candid sharing of experiences by so many fellows.  It really helps to read about other people going through the same things as I have. I am considering having the procedure done, hopefully in Toronto.  It is by far the closest site to where I live.  

One thing I have a question about, though.   I have scarring on the back of my head from previous transplants but I keep my hair long enough to make them hard to see.  Do you have to get your head shaved when you go for a consultation so they can see the scarring and determine how it might be helped with the SMP?  

Years ago I used to have a very short buzz cut - before any transplant surgeries.  My head wasn't shaved bald, but my hair was very short.  I was kind of hoping I could do the same with the SMP, but it really sounds like shaving totally works best.  I think the idea of shaving one's head completely can be a bit frightening to some of us at first,  It is finally saying goodbye to the hair you have struggled to maintain your whole life.  But sometimes drastic changes are the best.

Has anyone had success with having the top shaved down but letting the sides and back be a bit longer - buzzed but not shaved? Also I do find, in some of the after images, that the frontal hairline looks too straight to me.  Maybe it is hard to judge by a photo alone.  I would want a hairline that reflects my age and degree of receding.  Something more subtle, I guess.  Details such as this I am sure get ironed out before any work is done.

I turn 60 tomorrow.  My hair has gotten gray, but not totally.  I am ready to make a change.  I am tired of fussing and worrying and feeling bad about my appearance.  

I am not sure about the cost.  I know it must vary depending on the individual and how many sessions are done, etc.  But I am pretty sure it will be a lot less than the thousands and thousands I have spent over the years on HT surgeries, and none were long lasting or totally satisfactory.  

Good luck to all out there who are also considering the procedure.  I hope to make a decision in the coming weeks.  Maybe as a late birthday present to myself !

#2 hairhair98

hairhair98

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hey, welcome to the forum.

No you dont have to shave your hair down for the consultation.

Yes shaving the head bald can sometimes be difficult to adjust to.  Prior to my treatment i was wearing my hair at a #2 guard which i considered really short to start with... but taking it down with an electric razor is an entirely different thing.  Even the jump from a #0 guard down to electric razor can be a little jarring.  As time goes by, however,  you get used to it... but it takes some adjusting at first, both for the look and the feel.  It's best if you can experiment with shaving it down before hand, just so you are fully aware of how it will look/feel if that would be needed after your treatment.  It all depends on how much hair you have left, but most people take it all the way down with an electric razor... that being said, if you have a lot of hair it can look great just buzzed with a #1 or #2.

I haven't really heard of people keeping the sides longer than the top.

Hairlines are getting better all the time, your practitioner will easily be able to construct a broken/receded/natural hairline to suit your tastes.

I've seen several guys over 50 on here, and it looked great on them.  It's great that you aren't afraid to try something new, as this type of treatment has a lot of positives for people at any age.

It's still a little expensive at the moment, especially if travel is an issue.  Costs vary depending on the level of hairloss, but i would say its somewhere between  $3k - $5k for NW5 and up.

7 treatments in 2013 at Chicago and NYC

My Diary:  http://forum.hishair...ncludes-photos/

#3 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

Thank you for the response.  I can see your point in doing the shaving thing first just to see how you handle it, before having anything done.  Ideally I wish there was a way I could try to recreate my buzz look from years ago, very short, but have the scarring on the back, and what now what is more visible on top from further hair loss since HT, disguised.  I guess I will just have to discuss these issues when I go for a consultation.

If I can get the procedures done in Toronto the travel expense will be minimal.

I also get dermatitis this time of year on my scalp on top.  It often comes each season when the weather gets cold.  I hope it won't be a problem.  Maybe if I end up with a shaved head it will be easier to treat without hair getting in the way.  It isn't a big deal, but it does cause some redness, irritation, and flakiness at times.

I have a lot to think about.  I appreciate your advice and suggestions.

#4 hairhair98

hairhair98

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

There's always the option of only getting the scars done, several guys have went this route and they say it worked out well for them.  This is usually done to allow them to buzz their hair down shorter than they normally could with the scars untreated.

That's one good thing about a shaved head, you can easily keep it healthy and moisturized without having to worry about hair being in the way.  It's nice to feel crisp and clean each day with only about 5 minutes of time needed.

7 treatments in 2013 at Chicago and NYC

My Diary:  http://forum.hishair...ncludes-photos/

#5 normguy1954

normguy1954

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

It is hard for me to determine what my scarring in the back looks like just by combing the hair upward and holding up a mirror.  But when I touch my head back there it sure feels uneven, bumpy.  I wish I could find a way to camouflage the scars in back enough to have a buzz cut.  Then if I could shave the top where my transplants are (mostly in the front) and somehow find a way to smooth my scalp so it didn't look bumpy and spotty, I could live with being bald on top.  I am not looking to appear like I have a full head of hair that is just shaved.  I don't mind the baldness.  What I mind is that the scars showing in the back when my hair is cut too short,  And now that I have lost further hair on top  the transplant bumpiness is more noticeable.  

I will go over all this when I have a consultation.  Perhaps they will recommend a resurfacing procedure for the top of my head and then just concentrate on disguising the scars in the back.  There is a lot to consider.  I will be glad when some day I can just get past all this.  

In the meanwhile I try to remember that life is good, with or without hair. 

#6 Hagler

Hagler

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNy

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:29 PM

Hello Normguy. ii am very curious of how your procedures turned out, especially any treatments you received for the top of your head at the recipient site from old HT. I am a victim of early 90s HT and I'm in the same situation. I have scars all over the back of my head and cobblestone scars on top. I now shave my head and am curious if you have any info on a recommended dermatologist to smooth out cobblestone scars in the recipient area (top of head)? I live in NY in the US, but would like to see if you or another adviser has recommended dermatologists that have had success with HT repair. I will also then contact NYC HIS for strip scars in the back of my head for SMP guidance. Ny biggest concern is the cobblestone scarring and have suffered with an uncomfortable feeling for a long time. Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users