Yon07

PAINT LOOKING SMP VS GRAY!!!

I think i watched almost every single HIS video posted and I've noticed that some treatments seem gray and more natural looking while certain others have a bit more of a painted on blob look to them. In no way am i trying to disrespect these clients treatments as i could be off with what I'm seeing...After all, this is what the forum is for so i can get input from others, so that's what I'm trying to do...The only thing that crossed my mind is that it may have something to do more with the skin color or the level of baldness? I've attached 4 photos. 1 & 2 are the ones i see as having more of painted look as opposed to 3 & 4 that i feel have more of a natural gray more real look to the treatment....Curiosity got the best of me! 

post-259066-0-58961200-1412612575_thumb.jpg

post-259066-0-76046700-1412612576_thumb.jpg

post-259066-0-77950700-1412612577_thumb.jpg

post-259066-0-67512500-1412612578_thumb.jpg

I think most end up looking grey once the treatment settles. I wish more people would show treatments months on as I'm still unconvinced with this 3d lark as you never see it months after. However on a positive all the above still look decent.

Funnily enough no 1 seems to have been round every SMP supplier (if you believe their adverts ) so maybe he has had one too many touch up !

Lol He's how I first learned about smp...a buddy from the uk told me to look him up when he was telling me about this procedure, I saw his vids with hishair on YouTube and also with another company , to be honest hishair gave him a more realistic hairline/hair

You talking about the guy who had 2 hishair and then went with company x to finish off his look? I remember asking myself who did his first two treatments because I liked those best. I think his made him look like Joseph Gordon livett. If we're talking about the same guy.

I think the gray vs "paint" look has to do with the lighting and picture quality to be honest.  Different situations make it look slightly different, but i dont think thats just SMP...

i see 2 guys in my gym with shaved heads and they have a pretty solid looking shade on their domes....SMP looks pretty identical.

Simply put - 

SMP is a tattoo - it is 2D. It therefore replicates a razor shaved head best seeing as that is practically 2D.

Razor shaved heads leave a light grey shadow on white dudes. Therefore SMP is going to look most realistic when it has a grey appearance.

The darker you go the less realistic it will look. The darker you go, generally means the longer you need to keep your remaining hair so it matches = less realistic.

It just depends how much you want to push the boundaries.

Light and realistic = may not show up too well in certain lights - such as sunny days or under bright artificial lighting

OR

Somewhere in the middle. Maybe shave your head with a foil electric razor (leaves your hair with a bit of 3D-ness at about 0.5mm) and get a mid-range shade. This is what I am doing and it works for me.

OR

Dark and less realistic = will likely hold up in bright lights, but will likely look a bit 'off'.

3 years later smp still looks awesome and totally real. No one ever could see it was smp.

Best birthday present I ever bought myself.

Just rolled 55 this year...

Looks the same as it did three years ago.

Not sure I remember how to post photos on here any more.

If I can I'll post up a photo again.

Simply put - 

SMP is a tattoo - it is 2D. It therefore replicates a razor shaved head best seeing as that is practically 2D.

Razor shaved heads leave a light grey shadow on white dudes. Therefore SMP is going to look most realistic when it has a grey appearance.

The darker you go the less realistic it will look. The darker you go, generally means the longer you need to keep your remaining hair so it matches = less realistic.

It just depends how much you want to push the boundaries.

Light and realistic = may not show up too well in certain lights - such as sunny days or under bright artificial lighting

OR

Somewhere in the middle. Maybe shave your head with a foil electric razor (leaves your hair with a bit of 3D-ness at about 0.5mm) and get a mid-range shade. This is what I am doing and it works for me.

OR

Dark and less realistic = will likely hold up in bright lights, but will likely look a bit 'off'.

Great response! I explained to the practitioner at my consultation that i prefer wet shaving every other day or so instead of using an electric shaver (not that i wont try it out). He says, that's not a problem and he will perform the treatment keeping in mind that it has to look realistic and good right after a wet shave and still look good a day or so later...If that makes sense? I just figured that till about 10 hours after a wet shave, it's very hard to spot follicles on the head and the treatment may stick out since it's bigger dots...