Hairkiller

The plastic/glass scalp effect

Yes, i and others have commented about the glass/plastic effect and how it is sometimes the worst right after a shower... which was always puzzling as there shouldn't be much oil on the head at that point.  Very interesting if it has something to do with a condition of the skin, although i couldn't find much information from a brief google search of the term 'scalp fibrosis' that talked about excessive shine.

Good anti-shines are pretty effective at stopping the glass effect... but not without drawbacks... namely the cost of anti-shine, sometimes needing to reapply after a few hours, and sometimes a subtle (but noticeable) powdery/coated/whitening effect that it has on the scalp/treatment.

https://www.google.es/search?redir_esc=&hl=es-ES&safe=images&oe=utf-8&q=fibrosis%20scalp&source=android-browser-type&qsubts=1411605885873#hl=es-ES&q=perifollicular+fibrosis

Tomorrow I will post some links but yes what we have is fibrosis, related to MPB. The "good" news is that if you can keep the real oil under control a good anti-shine should last for almost the whole day.

Finding a good anti-inflamatory should help.

I don't really understand it. Under white lights my scalp looks matte. Then I have a yellow light in one of the rooms, and it shines but the normal way, not the glass effect; but then I have yellow lights in my bathroom and I get the glass effect. So will I have to worry about lights every single time I go out of home?

multiple sources of light can give you that plastic effect you speak of, independently of the color they are; it is a matter of having the same shine throughout uour head, no horseshoe to bare scalp shine transitipn.

one guy once said he used vaseline on the back and sides to make it shine evenly, but he was quickly dismissed - to me it sounded like a better idea than having to put on make up every 4h though.

Don't really like the texture that PTR stuff leaves, and it doesn't last, talc feels good but it has some of the same problems concealers do, from what I've read. milk of magnesia is fantastic but after a post someone made with white spots on their head I stopped using i (raymond?)

you did extensive research hairkiller, so I imagine you're having the pre treatment jitters.

psychologists tend to project their insecurities onto patients, so if you're seeing one be aware of it; on top of that if he/she isn't bald or balding it will be a worthless appointment and money down the drain because he/she won't understand and will dismiss it.

some scalps are more oily than others, that condition you described doens't seem all that common.

I avoid running hot water over my head, but I always preferred a cold shower after sports over a hot one.

plus, if you use a ton of moisturiser before going to bed you can shave and skip that part in the morning, which adds to the shine - when I shave against the grain the 'shining' is uniform.

on a side note I'm thinking of having laser hair removal done on the sides to soften that 'horseshoe to bare scalp shine transition', if you check vince's treatment I think his advanced nw7 stage of hairloss made for better blending on the side profiles, for instance.

If you rub your fingers onto your scalp and its dry but you see the shine we are talking about -like just after a shower when there is no oil- then it is, unfortunately, scarring due to MPB called fibrosis perifollicular.

if there is no follicle there how can it be called perifollicular anything ?

the best way to control shine isn't anti shine, it's hydrating frequently, your head only produces oils if it lacks them - skin, as our largest organ has its own ways of preserving itsel; temperature variation, different degrees of hydration (water intake) and alcohol/tobacco are all factors.

if there is no follicle there how can it be called perifollicular anything ?

the best way to control shine isn't anti shine, it's hydrating frequently, your head only produces oils if it lacks them - skin, as our largest organ has its own ways of preserving itsel; temperature variation, different degrees of hydration (water intake) and alcohol/tobacco are all factors.

So are you suggesting that moisturising more often could have a better long term anti shine benefit than using anti shine products?

What's your take on astringent products like witch hazel that help to close the pores? I think products like these could be really beneficial but they're rarely talked about here.

hairkiller I don't know where you are getting your info from but there is nothing autoimmune about that, that happens when your body 'attacks' itself - alopecia areata is one such example of an autoimmune condition, the follicles are attacked by mistake.

if the perifollicular fibrosis deal is a problem for you then according to this article (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16755026) says there is a 50% chance finasteride decreases further formation of the said condition;

and there probably is some/will be some sort of laser that is able to rearrange the dermal collagen network; I can tell you right now that my head isn't the same after nd:yag and alexandrite - if the laser heats your skin, as so many of them already do, to a point where collagen, which is a protein, denatures (loses its structure), then all that's left is for someone to find a way to 'direct' the collagen rearrangement.

dry needling also disrupts the collagen formation/malformation through more obvious mechanisms. 

Damien I'm just saying that since the skin naturally produces 'oil' if you comply with it will probably produce less of it, that happens in your body when you 'overdose' frequently on some type of nutrient, since your body 'learns' to privilege useful metabolic pathways, instead of useless ones - like those which produce that same overdosed compund.

On a more empiric note, I've tried astringents on my nose, which is also an oily fucker, and yeah they feel great right after application, but in the long run your skin wants to breath and closing pores will do no good, it will just make way for more oil production.

Funnily enough, I just remembered alexandrite has been used for improvement of an associated excessive sebum production condition, for removal of nose follicles (yes you have hair on your nose); that improved 80% of cases, so don't really understand how dead follicles make for shining skin, that way everyone who has laser hair removal would gleam (?) in the sun.

Again. The shining we are talking about is not from oil White. The follicles have nothing to do here, your own body produces more collagen around those death follicles, thickering the skin and makin it shiner -due to the more presence of collagen-.

Well... in the sense that the healthier your skin is, the less deviation that will occur which could cause excessive (or not enough) natural oils.  But that is a long term thing that would (usually) be very subtle/gradual in noticeability... if at all.  The best way to control shine short term is still anti-shine, although you could incorporate a healthier routine which might diminish the need for it in the future.

However, in regards to the issue that hairkiller has brought up, a healthier skin routine would not affect the shine problem, as it isn't due to oils that the body produces... it's because of a separate condition of the skin.  Anti-shine would essentially be the only solution, unless there is some sort of chemical/laser/other treatment that could lessen the condition.

So are you suggesting that moisturising more often could have a better long term anti shine benefit than using anti shine products?

What's your take on astringent products like witch hazel that help to close the pores? I think products like these could be really beneficial but they're rarely talked about here.

Witch Hazel is a nice alternative to aftershave, but some people might be hesitant to use it on SMP as it contains a good bit of alcohol (usually 14%) which might dissuade the use of it.  Even with that amount, however, it probably wouldn't be that damaging to use, and i think HH has recommended it here and there.  I've used it in the past and dont recall it having a huge impact on shine, but i also wasn't paying much attention to that aspect at the time.  I've heard people talk of witch hazel wipes that they use to clean the scalp, and that it was good for that.

They also make alcohol free witch hazel, but i'm not sure if that type of witch hazel would have the same astringent properties as regular witch hazel.

In regards to closing pores, technically pores dont close or open (which i didnt know until recently) even though you hear those terms all over the place.  In the case of astringents like witch hazel, apparently what they do is irritate the walls of the pores which makes them swell... which in turn makes them appear smaller.  Same with steam/hot water... apparently what is happening is that the skin is swelling, which makes the pores appear smaller.

Besides that, i haven't done any research into whether or not the perceived size of pores effects how much shine is observed.

Here's a couple of articles about the pore issue:

http://beautyfool.com/can-pores-open-and-close/

http://www.besthealthmag.ca/look-great/skin/myths-and-truths-about-your-pores

That's killing me. In fact I'm on the edge of falling in depression. On monday I'm going to see a psychologist. I had all my hopes on this treatment.

While excessive shine is an issue, it isn't a dealbreaker to those that experience it.  In other words, the benefit of the SMP outweighs the negative of excessive shine... at least that's how i have perceived it here on the forum.  Personally i dont think that issue should be a make or break issue for you. 

As someone who has a problem with it, it can be annoying... but like i said earlier, there are affordable anti-shine creams that pretty much take care of it.  At times i will catch myself thinking that having to put anti-shine on is a huge negative to having SMP, until i realize that for my whole life i used hair spray/spritz/gel every single time i went out and never viewed them as huge negatives, or even really thought about them at all that much... they were just part of the routine necessary to look how i wanted to look... like shaving or brushing my teeth.  When you think of using anti-shine in those terms, then it becomes less of an issue... especially because it is generally faster than using hair spray/gels/etc.  It only takes about a minute to apply it to your head, which is probably less time than you spend using your current styling products.

I've been shaving my head since a while. So this shiny effect has always been there you know.

It's nothing different really. I'm trying to see this as a way to just not look bald, just like those shaving their heads that arent balding. Nothing much.

I don't really see the issue here to be honest. A bald scalp will get shiny whether it has SMP or not. If you are put off getting treatment because of this issue your head will still be shiny once all your hair is gone - but you'll also have a visibly bald head with horseshoe.

Unless you get a HT or wear a wig, that's just how it is.

Keep your head shaved. Use some anti-shine product and you'll be good with SMP. My horseshoe is almost gone (after second session), will need one or two sessions more and it will be camouflaged. SMP is the next best thing besides real hair, no lies!

Talc absolutely kill that plastic/glass effect. I'll take some photos for you tomorrow hairkiller.

I missed this thread but was discussing the subject in PM with hairkiller. I also suggested talc, since this kind of shine is only possible if the skin has a uniform enough surface for the light to be reflected evenly. Any kind of roughness on the skin surface won't reduce the amount of reflection but it will disperse it making it appear more matte. Talc has the added benefit of keeping the scalp dry. I really think many guys on here underrate the value of talc for creating a nice matte scalp.