Jayy

Dissaponted with the aftercare/ fading touchup

Hello. I had SMP back in February and its been great. I was quoted 2 sessions as that's all I needed. I have experienced a little fading and enquired about a slight touch up. I have been told that I need a 3rd session now. So I am not covered under warrenty until after I have a 3rd session? I was never told this at the time I had SMP and feel dissapointed with the aftercare. If warranty does not start after session 3 I would have liked to know about this so I can budget for it.

Damian..can you look into this for me. I had my treatment in Manchester.

Many thanks

Jayy this is probably due to the confusion stemming from being quoted 2 sessions "plus a possible 3rd if needed", in conjunction with the advertised fading guarantee.  I have been suggesting they reword, or better explain, the policy for a while... as it continues to pop up on the forum from time to time.  It caught me off guard as well, back when i had mine.

They quote you 2 + a possible at your consultation, and tell you there is a guarantee against fading.  What happens is that people think "ok well i was quoted 2 sessions, and a possible... and i'm not sure what the reason would be for the possible, but i know that fading is covered under the guarantee"... then when they schedule a 3rd for fading they find out they will be charged.

The reason is that the guarantee is technically a guarantee against fading, AFTER one session for fading has been paid for.  This means that if you were quoted 2+1 and need a 3rd, fading is not covered under the guarantee.  It is explained in the guarantee here:

During your consultation, we will provide you with an estimate of how many treatment sessions you are likely to require. We use the term ‘estimate’, as different skin types accept our pigments in different ways, therefore it may become apparent during your treatment process that an additional session may be needed.

but not everyone reads that, or they do and dont understand it, and/or it isn't explained enough during the consultation.

If they aren't going to change the guarantee policy to include all fading (and it's understandable why they wouldn't, although that would require more discussion), i think they need to explicitly state during the consultation that fading is NOT covered until the additional quoted session has been paid for... perhaps even include this statement on the consultation form and require the patient to initial next to it... that would prevent most of the confusion that happens down the line.

On the plus side, after your 3rd session is paid for they offer unlimited touch ups due to fading for the first year... and they are exceptional at honoring that.  To my knowledge no other SMP clinic offers unlimited touch ups.

Here is my response:

Having checked your records, you were originally quoted for 2 sessions for £2000 + VAT and your third if needed would be charged at £500 + VAT.

As you have not yet had this third session, the consultant has advised that you book for this session.

If you then need a further session after this, you will be entitled to one free session within your 12 months guarantee.

So this also states I'm only entitled to 1 free session under guarantee.

So confusing... But dissaponited also.

Jayy i'm thinking they worded it that way ("one free session") in your response email to not make it sound like multiple touch up sessions are the norm... because unless something has changed there is no limit.

From the warranty FAQ:

If additional sessions are required to deliver the style that was agreed, we will provide these sessions free of charge.

They say 'sessions', so that implies multiple touch ups would be covered... even though your response email implies only one is.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah... getting hit unexpectedly for more money is disappointing, but it should be worth it in the long run for you.

Is this still not sorted?

Very misleading to say the least.

I suggest a final assessment within a reasonable timeframe after the final quoted session to clearly determine that the client is finished with the treatment or a "possible" 3rd session is needed.

Don't hold the "possible 3rd session" over a clients head for more then 6 months.......

I think you will find that the gaurentee changed to 1 free session as some folks really abused the original policy of multiple free sessions . Think in this case its very clear - you pay for a 3rd at the pre arranged amount and if that does not sort it the 4th session would be free if within 1 yr period - I myself needed a little touch up a month after that period but hey thats how it goes .

I think you will find that the gaurentee changed to 1 free session as some folks really abused the original policy of multiple free sessions .

Do you know how was it abused?  If the treatment was complete and didn't require anything, i was under the assumption that HIS would not do anything.  If work was performed, that would mean that HIS thought it was needed.

Wow that would be kind of big news if they changed it to only 1 free session.  Although, like i said earlier, the FAQ on the guarantee still says that they will do multiple touch ups.

Think in this case its very clear - you pay for a 3rd at the pre arranged amount and if that does not sort it the 4th session would be free if within 1 yr period

Yes, this is pretty cut and dry... he will have to pay for a third.  However, it is still confusing because a lot of people mistakenly believe any fading falls under the fading guarantee.

Hello. I had SMP back in February and its been great. I was quoted 2 sessions as that's all I needed. I have experienced a little fading and enquired about a slight touch up. I have been told that I need a 3rd session now. So I am not covered under warrenty until after I have a 3rd session? I was never told this at the time I had SMP and feel dissapointed with the aftercare. If warranty does not start after session 3 I would have liked to know about this so I can budget for it.

Damian..can you look into this for me. I had my treatment in Manchester.

Many thanks

This doesn't make any sense.

You get 2 sessions in February, experience fading at the end of August (6 months out) and they want to consider that your 3rd session?

That's ridiculous.

Well I'm getting nowhere with emails to and Fro. Damian can you look into this please. I have messaged you.

Thanks

Sorry Jayy, just picked this up. I can't get involved directly, but I'll flag your query to the management team and someone will come back to you.

This doesn't make any sense.

You get 2 sessions in February, experience fading at the end of August (6 months out) and they want to consider that your 3rd session?

That's ridiculous.

After your 1st session is your 2nd. After your 2nd session is....

Time does not matter.

Well..I'm getting an assessment done now just to the extent of the fading (not a lot...just a touch up) but its so confusing and still insist that a 3rd session is not needed. It was complete with 2 but just needs a touch up...under guarantee.

Well..I'm getting an assessment done now just to the extent of the fading (not a lot...just a touch up) but its so confusing and still insist that a 3rd session is not needed. It was complete with 2 but just needs a touch up...under guarantee.

Jayy i explained the reasoning above.  Even if your treatment was 100% 'complete' after your second session (and it sounds like it was), you would still have to pay for your 3rd because fading is not covered until your 4th session.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After your 1st session is your 2nd. After your 2nd session is....

Time does not matter.

His point wasn't about specifically calling it a 'third', it was that after a certain amount of time passes they should not charge for fading related touch-ups.

I tend to agree... especially since the guarantee distinguishes between short-term and long-term fading:

Short term fading usually ceases after 6-8 weeks, however in rare cases clients may experience minor fading after this period.  Your 12 month guarantee covers any additional sessions needed as a result of longer term fading or flaw correction, and will therefore be provided free of charge.

If 6 months isn't long-term, then what is?

Just an update with this. I went to see Daz (Danny was there also ) at the Manchester clinic. Daz originally did my treatment. He accessed my crown, one call to head office and sorted it all out. In fact he and HIS went out if there way to look after me. So all in all...very pleased. Will go and and see Daz soon. I'll pop up some pics on the thread "3d look" as that's what I'll try and achieve.

Thanks Daz :)

So when you say 'sorted it out', what do you mean? Are they charging you for the session?

Dont really want to go into to much as each case is different, but they met me 1/2 way and both agreed on the outcome. They may want to reaccess the wording or what exactly is expected with the guarantee/ aftercare but Daz at Manchester did look after me.

Dont really want to go into to much as each case is different, but they met me 1/2 way and both agreed on the outcome. They may want to reaccess the wording or what exactly is expected with the guarantee/ aftercare but Daz at Manchester did look after me.

You're welcome. 

DHT