• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

POPULAR

What: SMP

When: Tomorrow am

Where: Houston

Why: Androgenic hair loss secondary to medications in my 20's. That along with some traction alopecia from attempts to camouflage. I'm an advanced Ludwig. Women use the Ludwig stages, versus Norwood for the guys.

Trials: What you guys called systems and units, we call wigs, weaves, extensions, tracks, glue in's, sew in's, braids, scarves, hats

Rationale: 1) attempt to regain the appearance of full coverage. I want  a more professional look when I don't wear wigs instead of "patchy alopecia head"  2)I live in Texas, it gets fricking hot. Systems can be torturous . I'm a bit  3) tired of little kids asking if I have cancer and finally 4)it seems like a great option and alternative

Challenges: 1)  I hope I don't look like i have shoe polish or a tattoo on my head (my hubby's fear) But wait honey,  I WILL have a tattoo on my head!  Unlike many of the guys on the forum, I'm out. EVERYONE knows that I have alopecia and most have actually seen me au natural. I go between hair, the way women change shoes. I have TONS of hair. So by doing this, what does that say? Does it mean that I'm insecure? I don't think so.  What if it comes out weird? Hell, that will definitely  undermine, the "love yourself mantra" I try to live. Anyway, enough on that... The other challenge is  2) A hairline that looks feminine. Luckily many AA women wear bald fades, but the goal is for me to still convey femininity and workplace professionalism. Luckily the rest of me, will never be mistaken as a male. I just want the SMP rock.

I have a story, but this will do for now. 

• Damien, JDH, iHAIR and 7 others like this

#2 Mac5

Mac5

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

Good luck juju!!

#3 madhatter44

madhatter44

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

You go JuJu!   As difficult as it is for men to lose their hair, it must be an entirely different & more difficult experience for women, and I commend you for having the gumption to "love yourself" & go ahead with this little touch up to make yourself feel better.  You sound like a mentally strong woman already, but why not make an improvement if you can.....I say go for it & sure you will rock it.

A couple suggestions you may or may not have already thought of - 1) I would maybe try to find some pictures of AA women with this style whose look you like to bring to the appointment to help convey what you're going for, 2) One topic you might want to discuss is how you can best make this procedure stick without fading, considering your use of lots of wigs & weaves, etc.  Not sure what affect that would have, but best to discuss up front to get an idea of what you can do & what to expect.

Otherwise, I don't think you need to worry about a "shoe polish" look...lol....not what SMP looks like, and from everything I've seen & heard from my time researching this....this procedure looks best & most natural on those with darker skin.  If they can make it look good on light skinned folks like me (which they're getting better at every day it seems), I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Best of luck to you!!

• JuJu and NOwayJOSE like this

#4 hairhair98

hairhair98

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

Great to hear JuJu!  I think you're the first female to document their story on the forum, and i'm sure it will help many other females who are in your situation.  Keep us updated!

• JuJu likes this

7 treatments in 2013 at Chicago and NYC

My Diary:  http://forum.hishair...ncludes-photos/

#5 Rosco

Rosco

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:14 AM

Way to go JuJu, that's what's up! You seem very secure and confident in yourself, and it sounds like you definitely live out the "love yourself" mantra. I think you will own the SMP look and rock it out for sure. I'll say a prayer for you that everything goes well in your first treatment tomorrow morning! Good Luck!

• JuJu likes this

#6 JuJu

JuJu

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:46 AM

You go JuJu!   As difficult as it is for men to lose their hair, it must be an entirely different & more difficult experience for women, and I commend you for having the gumption to "love yourself" & go ahead with this little touch up to make yourself feel better.  You sound like a mentally strong woman already, but why not make an improvement if you can.....I say go for it & sure you will rock it.

A couple suggestions you may or may not have already thought of - 1) I would maybe try to find some pictures of AA women with this style whose look you like to bring to the appointment to help convey what you're going for, 2) One topic you might want to discuss is how you can best make this procedure stick without fading, considering your use of lots of wigs & weaves, etc.  Not sure what affect that would have, but best to discuss up front to get an idea of what you can do & what to expect.

Otherwise, I don't think you need to worry about a "shoe polish" look...lol....not what SMP looks like, and from everything I've seen & heard from my time researching this....this procedure looks best & most natural on those with darker skin.  If they can make it look good on light skinned folks like me (which they're getting better at every day it seems), I don't think you have too much to worry about.

Best of luck to you!!

@madhatter thanks for the advice. I have a folder of pics for tomorrow. I hadn't considered fading if I toss on a wig when it is rainy, cold or I want to dress up. I've heard repeatedly that is looks most natural on darker complected folk. I have looked at tons of pics of aa guys ...many on other websites and they look fantastic. I just wish I could have seen it in person. A comfort are all the amazing transformations I've seen of guys representing the lighter continuum. You laugh at shoe polish but something has to explain Jermaine Jackson and Ray Lewis.(Jesus take the wheel!)

#7 JuJu

JuJu

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:46 AM

@rosco..thanks for prayers

#8 JuJu

JuJu

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:12 AM

@madhatter, androgenic female hair loss is demoralizing and not socially acceptable. Men prefer women with hair. It is part of our identity, sexuality, and femininity. I eventually had to get to a place where it became an opportunity to educate. The weirdest thing was going to my consult and this guy told.me the saddest story about his baldness then tried to pick me up! kinda sad the baleful couldn't pick up the balder chick (serves him right, he saw the wedding ring). Anyway when women go to the salon, we are excited and full of hope. The  salon is a fun thing...always. I may get banned for what I'm about to write, but the vibe in the waiting room for the consult was akin to.the island of misfit toys. The men waiting that morning weren't hopeful but instead desperate, embarrassed etc..i was all jazzed up and bubbly. And a few of the guys avoided eye contact like we were at the "clinic". Thank goodness the  forum is so supportive. What a great group of guys.    I will also need to do my eyebrows, to complete the alopecia reversal,  but not those scary tattooed eyebrows that confuse adults and scare the little ones.

• Flippo likes this

#9 Flippo

Flippo

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 12 June 2014 - 03:39 AM

JuJu you have a wonderfully refreshing attitude and even though my trips to NY can be difficult I always perk up when I enter the office and talk to everybody. I've had guys take me aside and ask questions, spoken to people in for consults and jabber away with the practitioners. I thoroughly enjoy all the interactions! I head to NY this week four my fourth treatment!

It will be a roller coaster ride so hang on, don't let go of that positive energy and I'm sending you some extra!! :)
  • JuJu likes this
NYC Clinic
Treatment one - March 20,2014 Color Shades 40's
Treatment two - April 1, 2014 40/42/44
Treatment three - May 8, 2014 30/32
Treatment four - June 13, 2014 24/26/30

My diary http://forum.hishair...he-show-begins/

#10 madhatter44

madhatter44

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

JuJu I have to agree with Flippo that you have a really refreshing attitude about all this.  It's the reason I felt compelled to comment & offer my support, along with the fact that despite your great attitude today, I know you've probably had some really difficult times dealing with this in the past.  I noticed you on the forum a couple of times recently & wondered what your story was because there are so few women......I'm glad you shared & look forward to hearing updates as you go.  And by the way, you are HILARIOUS!!  I've literally LOL'd  at every one of your posts in this thread....very entertaining!

Best of luck & keep us posted!!

• Flippo and JuJu like this

#11 Fix Ma Heed

Fix Ma Heed

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationScotland.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

JuJu, wish I was as strong a person as you! Good luck and all the best for your treatment, I look forward to following your story. I wish you could speak to my female doctor. Her attitude was basically your going bald deal with it, get a transplant. It was like she could not understand why this was affecting me so much, I could help but think at the time how would she feel going bald over night and coming into her work., 100 times worse than me no doubt.

Clinic wise I remember being nervous but quietly exciting for my first treatment. I was nervous just because I did not know what to expect really. For my second session I was so happy and excited lol, i love going to the clinic and the way it makes me feel ha ha. I think it might be because I have kept this problem to myself for so long and not talked to anyone about it, now spending time at the clinic is great because we are all on same boat and all understand each other. I also get happy and excited to go chat to the practitioner and see how he will enhanced my head each session lol

Enjoy 2moro!!!

Session 1 - 19/05/14 with Master P in Bham

Session 2 - 27/05/14 with Master P in Bham

Session 3 - 08/07/14 with Master P in Bham

My diary - http://forum.hishair...tory-with-pics/

#12 Alec Baldwin

Alec Baldwin

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Best of luck JuJu! We are all rooting for you!

And I don't know about Ray Lewis, but I do know Steve Harvey was using a sort of spray paint for his hairline. You spray it on, then line it up with clippers. My boy uses it. It's pretty cool.

#13 MaxG

MaxG

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

Go for it Juju!! It fits perfectly to black people you will be happy with it! It won't look like shoe polish and you will look great. You will envoy the pure look of this haircut while still being able to enjoy wigs from time to time like Rihanna or Beyonce do. If you are used to wear wigs, make sure your scalp is in a perfect condition before doing this as the first four days are pretty intense for the skin (no wash no mosturize etc).

SMP (2 strip scars from 3 HT): http://forum.hishair...5-28-days-to-go
#1 July 8th 2013 w/ Daz #32
#2 July 15th 2013 w/ Daz #30 #32
#3 July 20th 2013 w/ Katrina #32
#4 August 13th 2013 w/ Katrina #30 #32

#5 February 24th 2014 Touch up w/ Katrina #30 #32

#6 April 16th 2014 New hairline 1/2 w/ Katrina #32

#7 April 23rd 2014 New hairline 2/2 w/ Katrina #32

#8 January 26th 2016 New hairline + touch up 1/2 w/ Jeremie #30 #32

#9 February 2nd 2016 New hairline + touch up 2/2 w/ Jeremie #30 #32

#10 March 1st 2016 Quick touch up (HL) w/ J #32

#14 CarlosVela

CarlosVela

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Go Juju!

Very good introductory post - detailed and and rich in content.

I am looking forward to seeing your treatment as there aren't many black folks that have done the treatment on this board.
I think I have same skin colour as you and would love to see how the treatment will turn out.

Please provide us as many pics as possible and I wish you all the best.

Thanks

#15 iHAIR

iHAIR

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

I'm rooting for you... Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#16 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

Good to hear you went for it juju! Been keeping an eye on your posts to see if you'd go for it or not! Really hope it works out for you.
  • NOwayJOSE likes this

#17 JuJu

JuJu

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

Home! Long day spent with Jonathan G. What a sweetie. It  took several hours as there was/is little to work with as I have virtually no hair. It hurt more than I expected, but Jonathon said he had a guy literally cry as well as he  a female who was a rock. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. I squirmed and grimaced, but I took it.. I personally think it needed more than the200mg Motrin I took. They is no point of a 200mg Motrin. Especially if you are a Norwood 6-7.

I haven't taken pics. I may wait until second session to post.....wait until swelling is down. Right now, it doesn't look like much of anything. Hubby said it looks like an 8o'clock shadow, in comparison to a 5 o'clock shadow.    

Sleep awaits. 

• whitedots likes this

#18 MaxG

MaxG

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Hi Juju

Pain varies a lot from one session to the other, so don't worry about this. It might be the same, or better. Paramol is good as well as a pain killer.

• JuJu likes this

SMP (2 strip scars from 3 HT): http://forum.hishair...5-28-days-to-go
#1 July 8th 2013 w/ Daz #32
#2 July 15th 2013 w/ Daz #30 #32
#3 July 20th 2013 w/ Katrina #32
#4 August 13th 2013 w/ Katrina #30 #32

#5 February 24th 2014 Touch up w/ Katrina #30 #32

#6 April 16th 2014 New hairline 1/2 w/ Katrina #32

#7 April 23rd 2014 New hairline 2/2 w/ Katrina #32

#8 January 26th 2016 New hairline + touch up 1/2 w/ Jeremie #30 #32

#9 February 2nd 2016 New hairline + touch up 2/2 w/ Jeremie #30 #32

#10 March 1st 2016 Quick touch up (HL) w/ J #32

#19 MrPJ

MrPJ

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationWilmslow

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

All the best juju. Hope it turns out well for you.

#20 iHAIR

iHAIR

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Rooting for you!!! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users