Sign in to follow this  
gray shadow

smaller dot in the future ?

Not convinced....I think it may look really good if you shave with no guard and have a little hair left up top so when you run hand over head you can feel hair everywhere.......Someone like me though who would need it to match a fresh wet shave I don't think it would be as good.....Because a fresh wet shave for me leaves the black dots (follicles) so tiny they can barely be seen.....Larger and more prominent dots up top wouldnt be the same and match perfectly.......This is just reality......

In the arena of knowing what is really going on, that is known in laymen speak as, "Science, it just works bitches"

:)

(Also, the mathematics from the online optics text I referenced above was initially incorrect, so I corrected it )

HatingHats thanks for the reply I appreciate it and it was very interesting to read and I understand for the most part the points you made and they make sense.............Myself being a norwood 7 with no hair up top it becomes so key for me to have dots and gray that match perfectly and blend with the bottom hair. And I will always be razor shaved short as you can go everyday so that is the match I need with the smp.......Alot of the great results I see seem to be people who use no guard or people who wet shave with dark hair and a dark shadow and mabey bigger genetic follicles. ..........The challenge with getting great results with someone like me is the fact that when wet shaven my gray shadow is fairly light though clearly visible.......The follicles also are so miniscule when wet shaved that if the smp ended up not matching these follicles perfectly the procedure would be a huge fail............i would be left with a wet shave look where the "follicles" up top were different then the ones on the bottom.......And as a result it wouldn't look completely authentic..........It would probably fool most people but to the person who was very observant they would be able to tell the contrast........For the smp to be a success and worth doing (imho) it has to be 99% undetectable (1 to 3 inches away) and blend and match perfectly.......Otherwise a guy like me is better off just wet shaving and accepting the fact a horeshoe will be somewhat visible........I understand people with scars may feel it's more necessary to get this done and I completely understand that...........I would LOVE the shadow look with the wet shave........It would be the answer to my prayers to eliminate the horeshoe. ..........

Well Gray Shadow, SMP is 99% undectable IMHO, but it is not 100% undectable.  If you fly on a long airline flight and someone sits right behind your head for hours reaching forward to read flight magazines, it may be possible after hours of staring, that they might notice something is ever so slightly off.  That said, the vast majority of folks just dont observe someone that closely, even long time friends they have known for years. By profession, I am an engineer and used to wear a wig (shame to say that, but true) because I could not stand hair loss (not sure why it bothered me so much more say, than my ten pound gut, but there it is).  Like you, there is no way I would have tried SMP if I did not feel in a reasonable sense that it would be 99% or more undectable.  Having finished the treatments about nine months ago, I would honestly say it is for all intents and purposes undectable.  I even have one dickhead relative in my extended family (I have mentioned the story here in the forums before) who used to love to point out my vanishing hair at family reunions.  Upon last seeing me, he was floored and constantly stared at my head and tried to figure out how I had cheated him. Well, he used to be a Norwood II but is now about a 3 or 3.5, and I am a Norwood 4 or 4.5 but with SMP, I am a realistic Norwood I.  So you know the ole saying about payback, ... it's a bitch.  I just mentioned one fragment of a sentence about him seeming to lose hair and his face grew red and he finally for the first time in perhaps two decades, just sat down and STFU.

That story aside, SMP is not noticeable provided you wet shave your horseshoe once a day.  Of course you may not believe that, but it is my two cents worth.  Except possibly for yourself staring at in the mirror and your significant other, it is unlikely anyone will ever notice.

For the smp to be a success and worth doing (imho) it has to be 99% undetectable (1 to 3 inches away) and blend and match perfectly

Make a 2 inch gap with your fingers and hold it up to your eye.  When was the last time you had your eye that close to the top of someone's head?

Asking for 99% undetectability at a distance of 2 inches is a little unrealistic and honestly unnecessary... even though some people probably achieve that.  Some of my dots vary either way in size, yet i can hold a 5x mirror a few inches away and still have a hard time telling real/fake apart even knowing where the treatment is.  If i stick the 5x mirror right on my scalp and press my head up against another mirror, and hold everything still for about 30 seconds i could probably pick out the ones that are different sizes.

Know what im sayin?  

I've been here for several years and have read nearly every thread that gets posted, and time after time we hear stories of guys reporting that people dont notice... even with people they get busy with. 

I understand that you are worried about the dot size, but with as much feedback as you have gotten on the forums over the past week, i hope that you are more at ease with it now.  I mean you even got a personalized physics lesson from hatinghats himself!  People pay good money to listen to him talk about physics!  :D 

Like i said earlier, start going through old diaries in the forum and you will find lots of examples of the things we say.  Also try to see it in person if you can, thats usually the best thing to do.  And again, if you have some up close pictures of your hair feel free to post them so we can give more input.

HatingHats thanks again for the reply and I'm happy for your great results. I really am i have suffered this disease since 18 so i know and feel the pain and struggle of it. I think I saw your diary but am going to check it out again. My question now to you is on the flight if someone saw it for hours what about it may give them the impression something might be a tad bit off ? What would be the specific thing/s they might notice even subconsciously that would stop it from being 100 percent undetectable ? And being fair I do realize if you get anywhere near 95% undetectable then for 99 out of 100 people this would be a success........I do not mean to post with any sort of a chip on my shoulder although I do appreciate there being this forum where I can really ask what appear to be in my mind the "tough" questions........................HisHair98 thanks for the reply again and I get the points you make and I love your results. Your diary was the first I saw and it was really cool to see the results you got....I am going to work on putting some pics up......I have similar balding patterns to you except when I'm freshly wet shaved it's harder to see my horeshoe outline and my norwood 7 isn't quite as thick.......My donar hair I believe is the same density as it always has been....It grows out thick although when just wet shaven it's hard to see......And as I keep saying that's where my case presents the biggest challenge I think.......Because my wet shave ends up being so light I even argue with myself that I shouldnt mess with it.....The wet shave looks good on me and I pull it off.......Although the temptation of having the top match the bottom and fill in the horeshoe area is so appealing.......But only if it can match perfectly.......And for that to be the outcome the top would have to be about as barely visible as the bottom......And some might say why even do it then.......But that added extra little boost to what you see when you see an even shadow and no horeshoe would be why it's worth it.....

The main manner in which a long term observer may notice your SMP Gray is by texture.  For example if you flew from London to Los Angeles, and over the course of the flight, your real horseshoe grew out a bit, then for someone staring right at your scalp, they might be able to detect it if you moved your head at a certain inclination in the light, that your real hair was now creating a 3D texturing effect.  SMP is only two dimensional, so if the client does not shave it often enough for their particular situation, then a significant other or some long term observer (say a coworker in the office) might be able to notice where the real hair ends and SMP begins (by the texture).  That said, if you wet shave once a morning before work, etc.... I dont think anyone will notice.

I can be pretty slack with my shaving routine and allow the remaining hair to grow for up to 3 days. I notice the difference of course but I've not had so much as a second look from anyone. Wet shaved or shaved right down to the bone with a shaver it is completely undetectable. A few of the dots do seem on the large size on my finished treatment but it really doesn't matter at all. It all blends in amazingly well.

@ gray - your concern is understandable as we have been in the same position as you both in the heartache we have gone through over the years and the worry that having SMP is another silly idea that is to good to be true .

One thing you need to do now - arrange to meet a couple of guys in the flesh - its the only way mate and will blow your mind and give you real hope for the future .

I have already said this but I will say it again.if you are looking for perfection, you are knocking on the wrong door. I saw SMP for the first time yesterday and I was very impressed. While it is not perfect, it does a great job treating hair loss and thus suppressing the horse shoe look. The gentleman I saw yesterday simply looked like a guy who shaves his head by choice. In my view, one has to start out light and conservative to have more control on the ultimate desired results. I really don't picture folks trying to invest their time checking out the dots on your head.

I have already said this but I will say it again.if you are looking for perfection, you are knocking on the wrong door. I saw SMP for the first time yesterday and I was very impressed. While it is not perfect, it does a great job treating hair loss and thus suppressing the horse shoe look. The gentleman I saw yesterday simply looked like a guy who shaves his head by choice. In my view, one has to start out light and conservative to have more control on the ultimate desired results. I really don't picture folks trying to invest their time checking out the dots on your head.

I couldn't agree more, but this conversation is taking place on two different threads. The discussion continues here

http://forum.hishairclinic.com/topic/5348-saying-no-for-now/page-7