Photo

Norwood 7 Looking to get treatment done, please chime in!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 hadamar

hadamar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hey everyone!

So I went to the LA office for a consultation a couple days ago.  Everything was great and as expected except for one thing,  so I am looking for some advice.  I am a Norwood 7 so theres nothing on top.  The person I spoke with basically told me that I will not have any individual looking hairs, but just a consistent  shade.  That scares me as I don't want this to look obviously fake which it will if thats how it will come out.  I have seen pictures on here of people like aaron, who looks to be a 6 or 7, but still have definition of each "hair follicle".  So what should I expect?

Heres what I would love to look like:

(because I have less than 5 posts I cannot paste the link.  I am referring to "Aaron's Case Study" in the Case Study Section)

Please let me know what I should expect.

Thanks!

BTW, I have about the same skin tone as aaron above, maybe a tad lighter but not light by any means.

#2 HBK

HBK

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Sounds to me like he meant you won't have any individual looking hairs as in the image of real 3d hair. Each individual hair will be represented by a dot of ink to give the appearance of a shaved full head of hair. Someone with a full head of hair without SMP will still look as if they just have a "consistent shade" as well if they shaved their hair down to the bone.

#3 HatingHats

HatingHats

Engineer and Questioning Skeptic

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Yep, HBK is right.  You will have individual looking 'follicles' (dots).  An observer will have to be closer than eight inches and have a long time to stare at your scalp to tell though that they are are not real hairs shaved down.

As far as 'grayed out'.  No, you dont have to worry.  HIS has never done treatments like this and likely never would because as you note, it would not hold up under close scrutiny from inches away.

Family guy, Electrical Engineer, HIS SMPer and Dwemer Tonal Architect

SMP treatments finished on July 12th, 2013

Went from Norwood 4.5 to a realistic Norwood 1 - Pretty happy with my results!

Religions are based on faith, and Science takes nothing on faith and tests everything.  I prefer Science, It just works bitches!

#4 diMaggio

diMaggio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationvancouver

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:58 AM

hey I'm also norwood 7, I am booked to do it in May, feeling very nervous about it though...I've been wearing a hairpiece for years....not sure how people will react, work, friends, family etc....not sure what it will look like either...have you had yours done? you happy with it??

#5 RazorsEdge42

RazorsEdge42

Super Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

im a norwood 7, people who don't know you dont give you a second glance...if it was a blatant Francois Sagat, people would stare!! like a eye magnet on top of your head. People who know you well, of course are gonna know you've had something done! How you choose to answers their questions is a personal thing...

but..individual dots up close. Blurr further away.....but people with real shaved heads are like that.

Close up high res pics on here have individual dots,  mobile phone shots/bad lighting are a blurr......

if you could see it in person.....be the best thing.

good luck

#6 NYC

NYC

Super Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

You have nothing to fear accept fear itself. You have decided to shave your head down….its that simple. You are going to change your life starting with your hair….its done everyday. Your going to buy a Steinway L and learn to play jazz, your going to get a german shepherd and change your life. Embrace it, so will everyone else. Do what Colin did because his happiness is what we all feel once we get the procedure done.

Don't let that self sabotaging alter ego try to create fear by letting him talk to you the wrong way. Your going to look GREAT, your going to be FREE, your going to look YOUNGER, start saying that over and over and watch Colins happiness now

• RazorsEdge42 likes this

#7 hadamar

hadamar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

That's just the thing. I took a look at his head and I couldn't see any individual dots. It looked like someone took coloring and smudged it all around. I specifically asked him about that and he said it was going to look the same. That's what I'm so concerned about. It looked pretty obvious and that's the last thing I want or need.

#8 NYC

NYC

Super Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

That's just the thing. I took a look at his head and I couldn't see any individual dots. It looked like someone took coloring and smudged it all around. I specifically asked him about that and he said it was going to look the same. That's what I'm so concerned about. It looked pretty obvious and that's the last thing I want or need.

When I shave down the sides of my head and back there are no individual dots its a greyed out blur. If you look at my head from 6" away you can see very small individual dots however from 2' away it blends perfectly into the greyed out sides and back. The last thing you want is to have the dots not shrink down so that people can see dots all over your head. You want the dots to shrink exactly as Colin and everyone who get the procedure. Look again at Colin you can see the dots of his hairline however if you notice his sides and back he does not have dots where his real hair is. Shave the sides and back of your head, your going to see that you do not have dots where real hair is, you have a grey blur. You over thinking this process…….its normal to do that though. What you want is the same greyed out blur that your going to get when you shave down your existing hair on the sides and back. As a NW 6-7 myself I shave at 8am every morning and its seamless for 12 hours maybe 14. Then as the sides and back grow in they start to show stubble which looks like black dots however its 3D. We need to keep the hair shaved down to achieve the look, I call it greyed out…you can call it something else. The fact of the matter is if you look at ANY shaved head you can't see any dots or hair. Don't get caught up on the "dots" issue….believe me the last thing you want is dots all over your head…….its the blur that works. HH guided me on a "gradient effect" before I went, regarding the broken hairline and I would listen to him and all the rest of the guys on this forum like HH, Razor, Robbie, Nightwood, David, Damien, myself and everyone who has had the procedure. The artistry is for the practitioner to blend that color of your sides and back into the new top to match your shaved head. Don't forget to think about learning some jazz piano next.

#9 Damien

Damien

HIS Legend

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

Welcome to the forum. For reference, I have attached the photos from Aarons case study that hadamar mentions.

Everyone who has a shaved head or has had SMP looks like their head is shaded, unless you're standing close to the person. The human eye cannot separate tiny details like individual hair follicles from any sort of distance. Of course when you are up close, you can see the individual dots much more clearly.

If you're looking for a result like Aarons, that is no problem. We deliver results like his on a daily basis.

Attached Thumbnails

• aaron-after-small.jpg
  • aaron-before-small.jpg

Please note: I no longer work for HIS Hair Clinic. Please direct any questions to info@hishairclinic.com.

#10 hadamar

hadamar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

I'm not sure you guys understand. Obviously you cannot see individual dots from far away. What I'm talking about is when you are close, like 6 inches away, I did not see any small dots. All I saw was a consistent darker shade on the top of his head. That's what he said mine will look like as well, and that's what scared me. I was ready to do this and came in ready to sign up, but I lost confidence in the treatment when I heard/saw this which is why I posted this thread. I believe the guys name was Zang? I'm not sure if you have pictures of his results to see what I'm referring to.

#11 hadamar

hadamar

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

One thing I forgot to mention; he said that when I first do the treatment, that I will see the individual dots, but afterwards when it heals, that's what it would look like.

#12 gray shadow

gray shadow

Regular Poster

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUnited states

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:23 PM

Yep, HBK is right.  You will have individual looking 'follicles' (dots).  An observer will have to be closer than eight inches and have a long time to stare at your scalp to tell though that they are are not real hairs shaved down.

Hating hats so within 8 inches you can tell with the fresh shaved look? Why is this? Because of the dots being bigger then on the bottom where real follicles are or ??

#13 Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

As far as 'grayed out'.  No, you dont have to worry.  HIS has never done treatments like this and likely never would because as you note, it would not hold up under close scrutiny from inches away.

I have to take issue with this. I've had people much closer than 8 inches who didn't notice anything, and they were strangers who had no reason to be delicately polite to me. If you look close enough at the dots, they look like blurred follicles that are a bit deeper in the skin. It's only in the few weeks after treatment that the dots slightly look unnatural.

@hadamar: I am a norwood 7 (or norwood 8 if such a thing existed). If you look at my diary thread it has pictures of how my treatment developed over 4 sessions. Yes from a distance it looks like a shade, but that's what a real shaved head looks like. From a closer distance there is much more "texture" to the SMP. Hope this helps.

#14 gray shadow

gray shadow

Regular Poster

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUnited states

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

I think strangers would be less likely to tell up close.....The people who could tell would be those you see often or semi often.....

#15 Tosspot

Tosspot

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationWest-Yorkshire

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

I think strangers would be less likely to tell up close.....The people who could tell would be those you see often or semi often.....

Not true mate, I've been banging the girl from tesco express for 2 months and she's none the wiser,
  • NOwayJOSE likes this

#16 honda

honda

Super Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'm with baldtoss, they don't notice even up close rubbing it. Even my gran, uncle and cousins have not noticed. My local gym owner is jealous of my full head of hair and asked since I'm shaving it can he have some lol little does he know for some £ he can

#17 hazmn1

hazmn1

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

I've seen Zang and been treated by him. He's been all up in my personal so space and I really can't tell where his hair ends and SMP begins. Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

#18 HatingHats

HatingHats

Engineer and Questioning Skeptic

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

I am sorry, I did not come back to this thread sooner.  Hadamar, I perfectly understand your concern.  For Zang (who did my fifth and sixth treatments in LA last year), it is simply likley that you were not standing within the resolving range of the lenses in your eyes.  When HIS performs an initial treatment the dots are often 150 to 300 Um (micrometers) in diameter.  (to give reference, the diameter of a single cut hair shaft in a caucasian male is about 77 Um).  Now, if the dots stayed that big, they would be more noticeable and the overall effect would not be so realistic, but over the next 90 days or so, the pigments are attacked by the immune system and they fade down.  This often ends at having dots that are about 90 to 170 Um in diameter and virtually undectable. (no, I dont work for HIS presently, and no, I am not making this shit up).  Even after this initial 90 period, the dots continue to shrink, but at a much slower rate.  This is part of the reason, that all clients (including practitioners) need to have a touch up every 4-6 years roughly.  If not, the dots eventually are broken up by exposure to UV radiation when you are outside and by assimilation from macrophage action in the dermal layer of the skin. 

Now, even if you have 20/20 vision you need to be within one foot typically to see the distinctness of the dots (for example on Zang's scalp).  If you never got that close, then that is the reason.  If you did get that close and you still saw a lack of dots, then the answer is that Zang needs a touch up.  (I have seen Zang three times from very close and never had trouble seeing his dots.  Thankfully, he did not show me his balls)

Also remember Hadamar that dot size and the ability to retain a specific size of pigment dot in the collagen micro-weave of the dermal layer of the skin is very much epigenetically regulated.  For example, after a treatment is over on two different guys and they both come back one year later, one guy my have dots that average 170 Um and the other dude may have dots that average 60 Um.  Humanity is a Guassian curve and this is true for pigment retention in the dermis.

While I would like to tell you that you will be that one dude who ends up with perfect dots, in truth, there is no way to know without giving it a shot.  And for that, I recommend the patch test.  Look it up in the FAQ section and you can read all about it and how it works.  It is only about 80 US dollars and may help you out.

• gray shadow likes this

Family guy, Electrical Engineer, HIS SMPer and Dwemer Tonal Architect

SMP treatments finished on July 12th, 2013

Went from Norwood 4.5 to a realistic Norwood 1 - Pretty happy with my results!

Religions are based on faith, and Science takes nothing on faith and tests everything.  I prefer Science, It just works bitches!

#19 Srt68

Srt68

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmars

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

so you're saying people need to pay  4 grand every 4 years to have dots painted on their head?.........zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

that's like 1,000 usd per year...  I am not sure that's even worth it..... 

I often wonder why guys even do it..   is it because they think females won't like them if they have hair loss?  If that's the case...  then they're really ignorant..

fact of the matter is.. if you're an attractive guy , you're still going to look attractive with a shaved head / hair loss... If you're an average looking guy, you're still going to look average with hair or a shaved head....and if you're an ugly dude.. you're still going to look ugly with a full head of hair or with SMP... 

I've seen several videos of guys that had this done and they looked perfectly fine before the procedure with just shaved heads.

#20 jason27

jason27

Veteran Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Srt68 no if you need a touchup which is average 4-5 years average time takes is few hours which is bout 500. Pound. Sometimes even cheaper if you need just one hour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users