damien

Information About Removal Of Smp By Laser

No not really to be honest. It's something I can't really avoid as my laser is sporadic and can attract to other ink -not removing it but heating it up therefore making the surrounding ink darker.

I re-read your comment today and think I might have worded my last question badly. What I meant is darkening of the lasered area rather than the surrounding area :) sorry for my inadequate wording. Anyway do you think that skin colour or pigment colour play a role in that (i.e. darkening of the targeted/lasered  area as opposed to the surrounding area)? 

No not really to be honest. It's something I can't really avoid as my laser is sporadic and can attract to other ink -not removing it but heating it up therefore making the surrounding ink darker.

I re-read your comment today and think I might have worded my last question badly. What I meant is darkening of the lasered area rather than the surrounding area :) sorry for my inadequate wording. Anyway do you think that skin colour or pigment colour play a role in that (i.e. darkening of the targeted/lasered area as opposed to the surrounding area)?

hi Maori

The area that is lasered should only get darker for a small period then fade away over a number of weeks. Skin tone wouldn't really be a factor in this happening as the settings I use are all applied to match the skin tone of the individual. The darkening to the area happens to almost everyone. Hope that answers your question.

HI katrina,

I'm looking to get laser hair removal on my remaining hair prior to smp. A few questions, has this been done before? How many sessions are required to remove the hair and over what duration? I have nw7 pattern hair loss and want to remove my current shadow so that a very light coloured smp can be applied all over without any blending issue.

Hi Katrina,

Any chance of you ever coming to NY? (or other US clinics for those interested). I want to remove/revise a small area on the right side of my hairline, but I feel a bit uncomfortable going to an outside laser clinic to have this done and I can't afford to go to England at this time. I spoke to HIS and they mentioned that they could possibly be getting laser center in the US but they were not sure how long this would take. It would be awesome if you could visit the States and work on some of us here in the meantime  :) 

Hi Katrina, going back to your answer for Maori, are you saying darkening will always take place of the lasered area or is there a chance darkening can be avoided somehow?

HI katrina,

I'm looking to get laser hair removal on my remaining hair prior to smp. A few questions, has this been done before? How many sessions are required to remove the hair and over what duration? I have nw7 pattern hair loss and want to remove my current shadow so that a very light coloured smp can be applied all over without any blending issue.

yes this has been done before only several times. Most people are prepared to just shave their head. 6 sessions are required to get a considerable amount of reduction on the area. You would need to come every 6 weeks for a treatment on the head area.

Hi Katrina,

Any chance of you ever coming to NY? (or other US clinics for those interested). I want to remove/revise a small area on the right side of my hairline, but I feel a bit uncomfortable going to an outside laser clinic to have this done and I can't afford to go to England at this time. I spoke to HIS and they mentioned that they could possibly be getting laser center in the US but they were not sure how long this would take. It would be awesome if you could visit the States and work on some of us here in the meantime :)

hi big blue yes the plan is to branch out to the United States but it will not be happening until next year but I will certainly update you on any info in the future.

Hi Katrina, going back to your answer for Maori, are you saying darkening will always take place of the lasered area or is there a chance darkening can be avoided somehow?

the darkening is only really noticeable on the surrounding area of where I've removed this is short term and will normalize in time. To avoid it to a certain degree I can apply an ice pack to the area before and after the treatment to prevent the amount of darkening accuring.

Is there a rough estimate I could get in regards to removing an inch off my hairline? Also, as i am black I was told I'd need to come in to remove a test patch first. Is this still the case? Finally, what time does the clinic close? as it's £25 for me to get there by train and about ten pounds more by car including petrol, parking and congestion charge. As it's only for a few minutes I'd rather drive and avoid paying the congestion charge. 

Is there a rough estimate I could get in regards to removing an inch off my hairline? Also, as i am black I was told I'd need to come in to remove a test patch first. Is this still the case? Finally, what time does the clinic close? as it's £25 for me to get there by train and about ten pounds more by car including petrol, parking and congestion charge. As it's only for a few minutes I'd rather drive and avoid paying the congestion charge.

Yes friend to alter or remove the hairline it is £150+Vat so £180 in total. You need to have a test patch which is £48 incl Vat and then come back two weeks later to have the full procedure done. I am in the clinic until 8pm most evenings so let me know if you would like to book in.

I'm 54, have had a consultation and deliberating whether to get this done although it will have to wait until after my daughter's wedding in November so as not to draw unwanted attention

If I decide I don't think the buzz cut is suitable a few years down the line, and if it fades over time anyway, could I stay out in the sun without protection to obviate the need for laser treatment and hope the SMP will disappear?

Whilst it might reduce the longevity of your smp by say a year or 2, standing in the sun is no quick fix to remove smp plus all the associated risks of skin cancer etc

If a full laser removal can be completed in 20 minutes why put yourself through the trouble of the alternatives!

Whilst it might reduce the longevity of your smp by say a year or 2, standing in the sun is no quick fix to remove smp plus all the associated risks of skin cancer etc

If a full laser removal can be completed in 20 minutes why put yourself through the trouble of the alternatives!

Just to save money

I wouldn't be stupid enough to go on holiday in 35 degrees sunlight without protection (although maybe not factor 50 if I wanted it to fade) but sunbathing in 23 degrees at home shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty of bald people with suntanned heads who obviosly let the sun get to their head without any problem 

Just to save money

I wouldn't be stupid enough to go on holiday in 35 degrees sunlight without protection (although maybe not factor 50 if I wanted it to fade) but sunbathing in 23 degrees at home shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty of bald people with suntanned heads who obviosly let the sun get to their head without any problem 

Probably just be easier to get laser straight up, you could be waiting years for the fading to start happening even trying to fade it every way you can, probably be stressing you out mentally with the patience required. I've exchanged PM's with a guy more recently looking at getting a complete removal of his SMP he told me he's been quoted 500 for it, he's in the NW6+ region.

Hi there Joe

I think you really need to come to the decision of what you really want to do. If you are wondering how to get rid of it before you even have it done maybe its not for you.

Because of your age you can go for a very light pigment and have a very suttle look.

I would not recommend waiting for it to fade over a few years this could make you go crazy checking it out everyday to see how much it has faded.

I can remove a full head in 1-2 sessions and it costs £480 incl vat. The majority of ink has disappeared after 6-8 weeks even sooner. Best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Answers the question.

I've seen the video of Colin who's 55 and it really enhances his appearance. But My old man's 82 and I couldn't see him with the cropped look so I guess sometime down the line there comes a point when you have to revert back to nature.

Answers the question.

I've seen the video of Colin who's 55 and it really enhances his appearance. But My old man's 82 and I couldn't see him with the cropped look so I guess sometime down the line there comes a point when you have to revert back to nature.

Using your example, if someone had the treatment at age 55, it would fade considerably by age 82.

As your pigments fade it will appear as if you are thinning, exactly the appearance you want if you're considering getting rid of the treatment. Personally I would let it fade for a few years, then I'd laser off the remaining pigment when I felt ready to do so.

Hi Katrina, i have a bad SMP as in the topic "SMP turned bluish after only 10 days".

I want to laser it off, but the doctor says it will kill all my hair follicles(i still have some amount of hair there).

I would be pleased to be treated by you, but unfortunately i live in eastern europe.

Can you please tell me, you said only 5% of hair is affected, is this quite sure?

And what type of laser do you use, of course, if you don't mind telling me?

Thank you very much.

I have put a picture, so maybe you can tell me how difficult it is to remove those bluish dots.

According to the one who did them, they are at about 1mm deep into the skin.

Thanks!

post-272039-0-53796300-1377075709_thumb.jpg

Oh, actually i read all the topic and found the answers for my question on page 2. :)

And i've found a clinic in my country which has that exact type of laser. Now i have to "convince" them  to remove my SMP, because they most probably haven't done such a thing before. Maybe i'll do a small test before the entire zone, to see how the skin and hair react.

Thank you Damien & Katrina, you've been very helpful.

Oh, actually i read all the topic and found the answers for my question on page 2. :)

And i've found a clinic in my country which has that exact type of laser. Now i have to "convince" them to remove my SMP, because they most probably haven't done such a thing before. Maybe i'll do a small test before the entire zone, to see how the skin and hair react.

Thank you Damien & Katrina, you've been very helpful.

hi there

If you let the clinic know that iron or metal is NOT present in the ink. This is a frequently asked question from other clinics abroad and if the ink contains this is can make the laser spark and you can have a very bad reaction.

Just make sure they use a long wavelength and a medium spot size and you should be fine. :)

hi there

If you let the clinic know that iron or metal is NOT present in the ink. This is a frequently asked question from other clinics abroad and if the ink contains this is can make the laser spark and you can have a very bad reaction.

Just make sure they use a long wavelength and a medium spot size and you should be fine. :)

Thanks! What about surrounding hair, as i said, i still have some good amount of stubble there.

Have you done laser on pacients , in a zone with hair? There may be a bit of worry, because searching the net for "q-switched" laser showed that this type of laser is also used for removing hair. Maybe when removing hair it is set on a different wavelength/energy? What is the difference when used for hair removal?

Anyway, if it's only 5% as you said in a previous post, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!

hi there

Thanks! What about surrounding hair, as i said, i still have some good amount of stubble there.

Have you done laser on pacients , in a zone with hair? There may be a bit of worry, because searching the net for "q-switched" laser showed that this type of laser is also used for removing hair. Maybe when removing hair it is set on a different wavelength/energy? What is the difference when used for hair removal?

Anyway, if it's only 5% as you said in a previous post, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!

Yes I have treated quite a few clients with a considerable amount of hair and it has been very successful. I did have 1 client who had pigment removed and he had transplanted hair. He mentioned that after a second removal a little patch of hair didn't 100% grow back it wasn't noticeable but I am putting this down to the fact that it was transplanted hair and its easier to kill off.

Please don't worry about the machine in regards to hair removal as it is done on different wavelengths and settings for different treatments. When I remove hair I use a completely different machine but with some Q-Switched NDYAGs they remove several things like hair, tattoos and veins but all done on completely different settings. My Q-Switched machine is just made to remove tattoos and nothing else.

Thank you very much. One more question if you don't mind: when i go to get the pigments lasered off, do i need to shave off completely the existing hair there? I mean, if it's 2-3 mm could it interfere with the laser/cause bad reaction? There is not so much hair there, the pigments are clearly visible. But i wouldn't like to buzz it off completely, because the bluish pigments would be more noticeable by other people. Would the laser discolor the small hairs there?

I'm doing  a "test" session first. Can you tell me, if you know, how much i should wait after the test session to see if hairs are affected? I think that, if some hair follicle is destroyed, it should come out in 1-2 weeks, am i right?(if you know).

You've been very helpful.