Damien

HIS Legend

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi all,

Katrina, our resident laser removal guru, would like to join this forum to offer answers to questions and general advice regarding the removal of SMP pigments from the scalp.

As the foremost expert on SMP removal techniques, there is no-one in the world more qualified or capable of answering your questions, so if there is anything you'd like to know, I urge you to post those questions on this thread.

Most removal-based questions tend to fall into one of the following camps:

• Future hairline adjustments and other alterations
  • The ability to remove a full SMP treatment, should you change your mind
  • The ability to remove treatments not carried out by HIS Hair Clinic

It is important to mention that (to my knowledge), only two clients have ever requested the complete removal of a treatment applied by HIS. Questions around removal are usually asked for peace of mind purposes rather than actual intent. In the case of alterations however, it is likely that at some point in the future you may want to appear more receded, or change the shape of your hairline (for example) in order to appear more age-appropriate. For this reason, questions about laser removal are relevant to a lot of people here.

Katrina will post on this thread in the next few days to answer any questions posted below. Please do not ask Katrina questions via private message. We would like the Q&A's to be posted publicly so that everyone here can benefit.

Please note: I no longer work for HIS Hair Clinic. Please direct any questions to info@hishairclinic.com.

#2 ricardo

ricardo

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hello Katrina. If I ever wanted to remove my treatment, how many sessions would I need? What about if I just wanted to go for a more receded look? How many sessions then?

#3 Zzz

Zzz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

I am wondering the following; when removing/reversing a SMP is it 100% sure there won't be any scars left? or skin tone differences? like you see sometimes with people who removed their tattoo's? I am looking forward to hear from you, thank you in advance.

#4 Damien

Damien

HIS Legend

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am wondering the following; when removing/reversing a SMP is it 100% sure there won't be any scars left? or skin tone differences? like you see sometimes with people who removed their tattoo's? I am looking forward to hear from you, thank you in advance.

Good question. Katrina will be along soon, I'm sure. Any more questions guys?

Please note: I no longer work for HIS Hair Clinic. Please direct any questions to info@hishairclinic.com.

#5 maori

maori

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

1. Which factors influence the success of removal? I am pretty sure skin tone plays an important role but I am unsure of other factors.

2. How many total SMP removals have been carried out in the London laser clinic? (I know Damien mentioned 2, but someone who got his lasered off mentioned of at least two other individuals who removed their treatment apart from him). 

3. Would lasering harm hair follicles in the area?

4. Would the laser treatment remove pigments immediately? 

#6 Nightwood

Nightwood

HIS Legend

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

How wide of a surface area can you remove from in one session? Is it done in stages or zones as cooking the whole scalp in one session could cause damage on some level or to some degree?

If a full on NW7 can get a complete removal in one sitting, how long would you have to go over his head for? a ball park answer is fine.

Can using laser result in nerve damage?

What's the percentage of causing permanent scarring?

What's the typical percentage of hair follicles damaged from using the laser?

Is the laser used at the same settings as a typical tattoo removal laser or is your equipment special in some way?

#7 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:10 PM

Hi Ricardo

To remove the full treatment you are looking at two sessions to remove it fully. Obviously skin tone comes in to it, the darker the skin the lower my energy is so it may take one more session to remove it. To recede a hairline is extremely easy I have done this a few times and it works out very well, you will only need one session for this.

• Damien likes this

#8 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

When removing a normal tattoo the results and process is very very different. With a normal tattoo it goes a lot deeper than the SMP therefore a lot harder to remove.
With SMP I only use one wavelength which is a long 1064 with normal tattoos I am using a number of different wavelengths short and long so the reactions and recovery time is completely different therefore adding more risk of pigmentation.
Scarring is something I avoid, with my experience and technique your skin will return to normal as it was before you received SMP.

#9 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi there Maori

Yes you are right skin tone is a factor and you will see from another post I answered that the darker the skin the more careful I have to be with my energy levels as skin type 3 and upwards are more prone to pigmentation. Darker skin types will need probably 3 session maybe 4 and it will be gone.

I have removed 3 full heads in total and I have done many softening of hairlines which have all been very successful.

In regards to hair follicles being destroyed I cannot give you a 100% guarantee that I will not destroy any hairs whatsoever. BUT. If any hair does get destroyed we are looking at a 1 and 5% chance of some hairs being destroyed. You must remember your head is full of millions of hair follicles alive and dormant so you will not notice losing 1 or two hairs.
Immediately when I do the treatment the pigment disappears straight away and a white steam substance comes to the surface of the skin which is a perfect reaction, after several seconds the ink returns to the surface and it looks back to normal. I must stress that you will not see a fading until 6-8 weeks down the line.

#10 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hi there Nightwood

When removing SMP depending on what the client wants I will remove everything they ask me to in one sitting.

For a full head removal I will only go over the area once which takes around 20mins I CANNOT go over the same area twice this will cause scarring.

In regards to destroying hair follicles you can check out my post reply to Maori I explain everything in that.

The settings I use for SMP are similar to that of a normal tattoo but I never need to go to an extremely high level to remove it. My settings are quite low and safe and remove the SMP perfectly and safely.

#11 Nightwood

Nightwood

HIS Legend

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hi Kat, thanks for the replies very helpful!

Can using laser removal result in nerve damage?

#12 Damien

Damien

HIS Legend

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Well I've learned a few things today too. There are some key points from the above as far as I can see:

• Hairline adjustments usually take one laser session. Full head removals take two sessions, and perhaps more if you have darker skin
  • Katrina has done 3 full removals, not 2 as I previously thought
  • Removal causes no scarring, however reading between the lines I assume that if a practitioner used the same methods as used to remove a tattoo, then scarring would be more likely
  • Each part of the scalp can only be hit once in each laser session
  • The removal technique is similar to tattoos, but the required power is different
  • Damage to the hair follicles is possible, but will be minimal at most
  • Hairline adjustments are becoming a routine practice

Would you agree with the above Katrina?

#13 zgm

zgm

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hi there Maori

.... I must stress that you will not see a fading until 6-8 weeks down the line...

Do you mean that there is no fading till 6 weeks after or does it mean that it happens gradually along these 6+ weeks? Thanks for the replies Katrina :)

#14 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hi Nightwood

No the laser Cannot cause nerve damage it is only attracted to the pigment and it is a non surgical procedure so it will not damage any nerves or lymph nodes or sweat glands. Our machines are FDA Approved which insures clients it has been tried and tested and is completely safe WHEN used by the right person.

#15 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Good morning Maori

For fading it can be different for all individuals. Clients see a difference after a week then others don't see it until the later weeks [5or6]so the answer to you question is yes it is a gradual fade over a number of weeks. I must stress that laser is a timely process and people need to wait to see the results but they are extremely good results so it will be worth the wait.

#16 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi Damien

Yes I absolutely agree. It is becoming more apparent to older clients that they can have a more broken hairline and not the defined line that was once very popular. The more natural feathered hairline seems the most popular choice these days amongst clients receiving the pigment.

In regards to clients having the hairline removed results depend on what the client is actually happy with. After one session following the 6 weeks some people see a bit of a shadow left that they don't mind living with others want to come back for a second session to make sure every bit is gone so it really depends on the individual.

Any more questions or concerns I am here so please ask if you have any.
  • Damien likes this

#17 Damien

Damien

HIS Legend

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Katrina

Just posting a couple of videos that are relevant to this discussion

#18 Zzz

Zzz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

Thanks a lot so far Katrina and Damien!

#19 yoyo

yoyo

Regular Poster

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi Damian ,Hi Katrina . I had my hairline removed bY Katrina nearly 7 weeks ago .I think Katrina took off 3/4 -1" which is quite substantial for a hairline .I have had a new feathered look and it looks great .As Katrina rightly pointed out it takes 6weeks plus for the treatment to work  so you need to have patience

. I have a few stubborn dots still remaining from my original hairline so Ian said i need one more laser removal  treatment with Katrina which im booked in on Monday for . Its the most quickest option for removal and Katrina put me at ease so she is the great practitioner to see guys. You can see my lasered look by following my thread and see the before and after photos of  my head.....

Yoyo Continuing Have You Been Discovered Using Smp...

#20 Katrina

Katrina

HIS Practitioner

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi yoyo

Look forward to seeing you on Monday. Look forward to seeing your new feathered hairline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users