Sign in to follow this  
Raybatesman

waterproof shaver like R91?

Hey guys, it's been a while.. think it is my 1 year anniversary of getting this treatment done in a week or so if I remember correctly. Amazing how something so simple have changed the way I am and feel? I totally forget that I am bald now when I am out and never worry about looking down without thinking people will see my badly receding hair/horse shoe.

I won't lie, shaving every day is getting a bit annoying.. specially because the R91 seems to be hard to use sometimes as my hair is getting thicker with each shave. It always shaves better and less painful when I wet my hair with hot water but what I'd like to know is if anyone knows of a good shaver that can shave as short as the R91 and is water proof? It would be SO MUCH easier to shave it while I shower rather than having to shower then wet my head a few times to get it all shaved properly.

I'll add some recent pics of how my head looks now as well for those who are curious what has happened to me.

post--13620611618_thumb.jpg

post--136206116186_thumb.jpg

Ps. I am not sure if I am too happy still as I was with the treatment before if I had to be 100% honest.. just feels much lighter than when I first got it done or maybe it is because I have it for a year now and used to it? Not too sure. Probably will need a top up in the future.

Hey Ray - 

I have a waterproof Panasonic shaver ES8103S. It cost me around $70 US. I think it's a little better than the R91, but I'm not exactly in love with it. 
It does an OK job and you can shave in the shower with it, but it's expensive and you will need to change the foil/blades on it every year or so. It also takes the same amount of time the R91 takes to complete the job which I've found is longer than wet shaving. 

I find myself just wet shaving every night before I go to bed. That gets me through the next day entirely but not longer than that. 

If you feel like dropping some money on a wet/dry shaver, the Panasonic's not bad. You can rinse the blades off in the sink which is way better than the R91. There are more expensive models than the one I have that have more blades/power. I wouldn't get sucked into one of the shavers that come with the little cleaning station/solution since you'll be spending $15 a month on that cleaning solution inside the base. 

It's not that much better than the R91. Just a bit better. To be honest, I'm rarely shaving electric. I don't think I've touched either of the one's I have in weeks since wet shaving before bed seems to be working the best for me. 

As for perceived fading, I go through the same thing. Sometimes I think I've faded. Since I take pictures regularly I can see that it's all in my head. 

The other way I judge is to look at my treatment compared to my existing hair follicles. If they still match then you're good. That said, if they don't match anymore definitely talk to HIS. 

ALOT of people getting "fading paranoia"

it's very normal and it's all in your head (no pun intended)

btw, if electirc shavers is your thing then that is fine but honestly nothing beats Barbasol with a Gilette Fusion

Thing is I am really crap at shaving.. I seem to 90% of the time cut myself when I shave my beard and really don't like the feeling of a razor blade on my head. I bet it does make the shave last longer though because with the R91 if I shave in the morning, I'd have a stubble on my head by night time.

So I take it not many people here use a waterproof shaver in the shower? They are pricey so I'd definitely need advice or proper research before wasting £60 + on one.

I finally gave in and tried a wet shave with a razor the other day.. think I am convinced already. Took me 30 seconds to shave my whole head while If I use the R91 it takes me at least 5 minutes because I keep missing spots and so on. Plus with the wet shave I get to use a bit of soap so makes my head smell nice while if I used the R91 it leaves a bit of a funny smell due to it being used so much and on dry skin or just water wet skin.

The only thing is it grows very quick I guess now but hey ho.

Raybatesman
:
Ps. I am not sure if I am too happy still as I was with the treatment before if I had to be 100% honest.. just feels much lighter than when I first got it done or maybe it is because I have it for a year now and used to it? Not too sure. Probably will need a top up in the future.

freakin amazing!!! i cant wait to get HIS done to me. that picture out side at the beach looks fantastic.....so dam realistic

This becomes a problem when I travel with one of those cheap airlines and can't take a razor with me on the plane. The R91 comes in handy then but a pain in the a.... when shaving with it.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I still use a normal razor although if I leave it for a day or 2 the stubble becomes so rough that it hurts when I shave lol.. so I try to do it every day.