Sign in to follow this  
HatingHats

Questions for guys who have used Toppik, Caboki or other Concealers

Thinking of a product tailored just to guys who have received MHT to give them the look of 1/4 inch (about 6 mm) of growth on top the scalp, and for those rare days when you dont want to bother shaving and just have it blend in with the sides.  Haven't tried this stuff, so need some help before shelling out money at Amazon.com, and dont want to spend it on the wrong products.

1 - Can you create a look that is only 1/4 inch high, of artificial Toppik hair ?
2 - Can you get it to stick to a fully shaved dome ?
3 - Can you taper Toppik down to bare scalp and get it to look realistic ?

Thanks - Jackson

Simple answer is no.

The fibres are very very small maybe 2mm at most, you cannot 'prop them up' to create a vertical 3d looking effect they are very fine and would generally stick to your fingers if you tried to place them vertically piece by piece even if you could they wouldnt stay still they'd move at the slightest amount of wind when bound to nothing, the fibres use some sort of electric style current to stick to the hair and you'll need to bond them in with something like a recommended toppik spray or hairspray.

It will go on a fully shaved dome but it'll look exactly like what you have done (that you've smeared something on your head) if you really tried maybe you could make it look like you've shaved your hair down as you normally would but i doubt it would look 'natural' as such and again if its sticking just to skin its not forming a bond with anything, you'd need to lock it down with something eg. hairspray.

Vince used to use dermmatch to create an illusion similar to his a sort of shadowed look but from what he said he was constantly on edge as he needed to re-do it on a short time period (3hrs or so) basis and slightly dabbed his head with tissue to check it was still in place. Fod applied it dry to replicated shaved hair follicles. So far those are the only 2 i've heard of that work for creating an illusion of shaved hair that work to a degree.

I know with caboki it blends perfectly when i put it on parts of my scalp that don't have hair with the parts that do have hair but i think if you put it on a completely shaved head it wouldn't look natural and any gust of wind or drop of rain would send it right off your head. I guess it would be worth a try if your really interested in experimenting with it. Im pretty sure caboki gives free samples as long as you pay for shipping. I'am very interested in your theory on helping full mht heads maintain a 1/4 cropped look that would be amazing. Excited to see what you can learn. It would be nice if his could partner up with a reliable FUE doctor and combine the procedures to create the 1/4 inch look. 

@Tman I found nanofibres (a.k.a toppik) to be great for thickening up my hair on thinner areas but when i applied it to a certain area (about 2cm) where my hair is very thin and doesnt grow above about 2mm it kind of just looked like a patch of powder unless i really worked on it hard, is cabooki that good it would have resolved a problem like this? I figured its just the same thing with a different label is all!

Yeah i've used both and caboki looks 10x better at least in my opinion and i think it's a lot more reliable as far as staying in my hair Im able to bring my hairline where its receding down about half an inch further with Caboki without it looking like a clump of powder (i know the look your talking about i get it when i put to much on). Either way its definitely worth a try they give free samples Im pretty sure just think its like 5$ for shipping. You nailed it on the head too as far as why it wouldn't look natural on a completely shaved head.

Used toppik and couvre for over a decade...

With HIS MHT I never ever ever ever have to use that crap again..

All kidding aside...why would anyone want to..

Its soooo easy to shave my head every day or two..it takes seconds not even minutes to shave..

Freedom baby!

I dove in the ocean without a care in the world for the first time in over a decade this past week.

Interestingly enough I had a flashback of the bad old days as I rose from the depths of crashing waves that I don't ever ever ever have to give a second thought to what I want to do and worry that the toppik couvre product and what it might be looking like.

I love the HIS MHT and the freedom its giving my life.

Sorry to suggest this but couvre toppik was the ball and chain that you couldn't sell me again if your life depended on it...

MHT HIS service frees us of that nonsense along with any concerns of Male pattern baldness...

JMO

totally agree with JB... Surely the reason we go through with this is so we dont have to bother living a life of sprinkling silly little fibres all over our heads.  Im sorry to say it but Hating Hats I think you're struggling a bit at the moment, STOP WORRYING, you'll have said to many other people in your advice that HIS will get you to where you want to be, you know its true man, maybe it;ll take you an extra treatment or so for you to be fully happy with it but thats cool.  You really shouldn't be starting to doubt the final effect and be thinking about going back to maintaining some sort of false maintenance routine, thats just back to square one again.  No-one who has MHT should ever need or want to do stuff like this ever again.  We're bald at the end of the day... I think this is just because you're spreading your treatments out over a long period, which I understand, but I think being "unfinished" isn't helping you at this point.  If I were you i'd get my treatments, stop even thinking about putting anything on your head, and just be happy with not looking bald anymore...

With much respect obviously.  Youre a top top man.
Chris

Trust me, Chris, ... I am not doubting the final effect.  (at least not yet  :)  )   My interest in these artificial fibers has nothing to do with continuing to enslave folks.

When, I speak of using them, I mean perhaps once a month, for maybe 2-3 hours, at say some large event under harsh lighting.  And simply to give the illusion, that your MHT is not merely an illusion, ...if you catch my drift.

In no way, shape or form, am I advocating this idea as a daily maintenance routine.  Mainly, just like MHT, I am interested in it from the nerdy engineering perspective.

As someone who uses this junk all I can say is ditto.  I took my hairpiece off in April and have been using a combo of dermmatch and Joan Rivers Perfect Hair since.  I can get it to look almost perfect, but this is only a short term solution until my August treatment.  This is no way to live long term as the concealer is more work than the toup at times.  Also, I feel like a judo master keeping people from grabing my head (I don't get the facination.)

MHT will be 1,000 times less stress.