HatingHats

The MHT Ball Starts Rolling !

I have looked into that for two other forum members and unfortunately, without exacting assays, I am forced to make educated guesses.  For typical sunscreens and lotions that contain small amounts of alcohol, I would they may increase the fade rate but only by a very small margin if used daily for years.  For larger dose applications and acne medications, my best guess would be that the alcohol can increase fade rate by perhaps something like 20 to 30% (but still very hard to say and based upon the individual).  So, as an example I tested the Headblade ClearHead lotion for use after scalp shaving with a blade and found it works well but has too much alcohol.  Therefore I replaced it with Witch Hazel from Walgreens for $3.  Works just as well.  In your case, I would say the minor amount of alcohols in the moisturiser are probably fine for daily use.

Hi HH!

You had a shade 3 I believe. To what shade nr. has it faded and does it still "spark"?

I mean you tested with a shade 3.

I've read you used different shades(4,8,12). How did they go about? 4 on top and the rest for fading purposes and can you tell if the shades faded evenly?

I had a patch test with Shade 0, which is the darkest HIS offers.  (that type of shade is pure pigment without any dilution and is usually only used on men of African descent with the darkest skin tones).  I had that patch test done at the back crown and it actually faded a bit but looks good on me now almost nine months removed.  My last real treat (July 12th, 2013) was mainly shade 4 over most of the scalp and it has faded down to about what ~ shade 32 pigment looks like fresh immediately after the scabs fall away.  (realize I am making a best guess out of my butt here)   That said, I am definitely glad I pressured HIS to give me the shade 4 treatment.  It does look much better than the fifth treatment I received.

This will probably be my last post in this thread for a bit as I am now five months removed from my sixth treatment and things are holding fairly well for me.  I am hoping that my now finished SMP can last me 4-5 years before I need to come back in, and am glad that HIS does honor their word about giving guys the number of treatments it takes to make their scalp look realistic.  If anyone has questions for me, just private message me and I will usually get back to you in 24 hours or so.

Overall, I am pretty happy with SMP and rate my final look about a 9 out of 10.  Like any bloke, there are times when I wish I just had my regular hair back, or when I dont like the appearance of SMP in certain lighting situations but overall, it is a true improvement to my looks.  It has easily cut ten years from my apparent age and also changed the way I view myself.  SMP is not perfect for everyone but for me, due to its low maintenance I find it the best current option available.  I would urge others who read thru and reach the end of this thread to do their homework, dont jump into anything and try out some eyeliner pencil of charcoal marker on their scalp for several weeks before making their own decision.  And I am wishing others who are proceeding down the same shitty road I previously traveled, the best of luck and good wishes.

I will be here to help out others if the need arises.

Shade 4 became like a 32? OMG. Is that only due to your immune system HH?

A second question. As engineer and former client do you (I would appreciate Damien's thoughts as well) think the next step HIS could do (the next gen treatments) is trying to achieve a more little "dots" process? Or have we got already this minimum size? I guess the limit is in the "mollecular" size of the ink if it has some sense.

Apparently, that last post was not my last, LOL. 

Yes, essentially that is correct Hairkiller. When you leave the clinic after your final treatment, you actually want the treatment to be a little too dark, because it will surely fade down until hopefully it ends up just about right to last you for the next 3-5 years.  For me, I am one of those dudes who heals from a scratch in two days and I suspect my immune system has been the main contributor to my extensive fading and need for six full treatments.

In answer to question two, no, ... I think HIS is doing it just about right.  Currently with HIS, the dots they place are often about 300 to 170 Um in diameter but after full fading 100 days later shrink down to about 150 to 90 Um in diameter.  In average real day practice, they might consider adjusting to a custom needle to get a tiny bit finer dots but it is not a major issue.  Even for folks with American standard 20/20 vision from eight inches away, roughly 70% will not detect the dot size as fake.  (and no disrespect but molecular size of the pigment molecule has no bearing)

Hi HH. I did a test patch with nr.4. It has faded a lot, but looks ok ish and I can, for the first time since I have this treatment, distinguish the pigments on top of my head. I will go darker, but what I'm worried about is how it will look because I requested smallest dots possible. This means not only light, but equal pressure which is impossible for a 3 hour session.

So how "even" is your SMP and I'm looking forward to the gradient effect from top to bottom.

Good luck and thanks!

Because I had seven different treatments with five practitioners and each of those sessions included multiple breaks (for both myself and the practitioners), dot size turned out pretty even for me all across the scalp.  Most of my dots are from 90 to 170 Um in diameter. At least for me and on my scalp, dot size is not an issue.  I have since had some colleagues and students I teach examine my scalp very closely and if I had to guess by their facial reactions and eye movements, I would say none suspect that it is not my real hair simply shaved down.

This is what scares me about SMP. Yes, your results are amazing, but having 7 treatments in a year and a half is not my idea of a  good time :) How many sessions have you had since December 9, 2013? The airfare, lodging etc. would cost me at least $500 each time I had to visit. Sure, it's not a big deal when you live close to a clinic, but for those of us who have to take vacation,  book hotels, air fare and cars, this can be a bit overwhelming.

I'm not being critical. I'm realizing that committing to SMP is indeed a major commitment both time and monetarily. I'm also realizing that the commitment doesn't end until you give up the dream of an illusion of a full head of hair. 

Thanks for the insight 

I hate to chime in randomly at the end of this post. I have a treatment booked in December and my second treatment six days later. It was my impression that aside from a possible touch up 2-4 weeks later due to fading, that the second procedure would give me the look of a finished product.

HH I saw your first picture after your second treatment ((I stopped reading after that because I'm now panicking)), and while the treatment looked good, it looked far from a finished product in my honest opinion.

Can someone please fill me in on if this is the norm? I may need to cancel my treatment...this was not my impression and I can't be seen in front of people in an incomplete state.

I hope I didn't come off as rude.

This is what scares me about SMP. Yes, your results are amazing, but having 7 treatments in a year and a half is not my idea of a  good time :) How many sessions have you had since December 9, 2013? The airfare, lodging etc. would cost me at least $500 each time I had to visit. Sure, it's not a big deal when you live close to a clinic, but for those of us who have to take vacation,  book hotels, air fare and cars, this can be a bit overwhelming.

I'm not being critical. I'm realizing that committing to SMP is indeed a major commitment both time and monetarily. I'm also realizing that the commitment doesn't end until you give up the dream of an illusion of a full head of hair. 

Thanks for the insight 

I hate to chime in randomly at the end of this post. I have a treatment booked in December and my second treatment six days later. It was my impression that aside from a possible touch up 2-4 weeks later due to fading, that the second procedure would give me the look of a finished product.

HH I saw your first picture after your second treatment ((I stopped reading after that because I'm now panicking)), and while the treatment looked good, it looked far from a finished product in my honest opinion.

Can someone please fill me in on if this is the norm? I may need to cancel my treatment...this was not my impression and I can't be seen in front of people in an incomplete state.

I hope I didn't come off as rude.

HatingHats scenario was far from the norm, hence why his treatment ended up being more than a little experimental. HatingHats asked us to use a pigment that was far, far darker than what would usually be required for a man of his ethnicity and complexion, and as it happens, it was a good call and ultimately produced the result he wanted.

Most clients need 2 sessions to look "normal" and a third to finish off the look. Four or more sessions are sometimes required, however following a discussion with several practitioners, we estimate that less than 10% of all clients require more than 3 sessions to complete their initial treatment.

It also depends on the condition of your scalp. My scalp was not in good nick and I didn't realise that, ideally,you should moisture it regularly around a week before the first treatment. I ended up with more treatments mainly due to my scalp being in bad nick (dermatitis) but that was largely out of my control.

Shade 4 became like a 32? OMG. Is that only due to your immune system HH?

A second question. As engineer and former client do you (I would appreciate Damien's thoughts as well) think the next step HIS could do (the next gen treatments) is trying to achieve a more little "dots" process? Or have we got already this minimum size? I guess the limit is in the "mollecular" size of the ink if it has some sense.

The needle-head of the 'tattoo machine' used for SMP treatment is a 3-needle system. Actually there exists also a 1-needle system, but if HIS don't use it, there will be a reason why.

Perhaps if  the dot is created with only 1 needle, it would be so small, that the inmune system of the skin would absorve and destroy the pigment too fast.

There is another problem with the 1-needle system: If you prick with the needle repeatedly on the same point, the skin will be cutted and the pigment will not remain fixed like a dot but like a scar.  

AGUJAS-KIT-MICRO.jpg

saphiro4.png

The 3-needle system is for now the best one. And there are diferent tipes of 3 needle systems:

0,30mm

symphony-e-0023.jpg

0,25mm

labina_3er_outline_hygienemodule.jpg

@jason27 - sorry, I didn't realise you'd asked me a question. See my signature. Last sesh was just 20 mins crown touch up. I reckon I could've achieved the look in 4 sessions if I'd been bolder with the shade choice too. Better to get there in end though rather than go too dark and regret it.