thoughts on how to dress with a shaved head

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 staypositive

staypositive

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

not had the treatment yet,, but one of the things worrying me for when i do is that i may look like some sort of skinhead thug... its not my own prejudice, just that i am aware of the stigma attached to a young white man (im still under 20) with a fully shaved head (racist alert lol!)

- any thoughts on how this could be avoided?

I wear doc martens atm as well so i guess they will have to be scrapped lol

#2 fodandahalf

fodandahalf

Super Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hey, I've had similar thoughts. I reckon dressing fairly well i.e. shirts/ jumpers, would go great with a shaved head. I quite like ringer t shirts too: 
http://i.ytimg.com/v...GbJD3z4P4/0.jpg

Three treatments so far, may need a fourth depending on how the ink settles

#3 janczar

janczar

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think the way you dress is not down to your hairstyle only. Ofcourse bald men have limited options but there's no certain style that would suit every guy with shaved head.

I've been thinking about the issue a lot too because, as you said, nobody wants to be considered a vandal or sth after shaving his head. I've been studying photos of bald celebrities and figuring out what clothes they wear and on the reflection I think is that the best way of dressing is the simpliest way, I mean ordinary jeans, shoes and only a single-colour shirt on top. You shouldn't exaggerate with patterns and garish colours, you should stick to black, white and grey. You can also try to find some suitable shirt but the best way to find out in what clothes you look good is to go shopping and try them on in front of a mirror.

#4 Nightwood

Nightwood

HIS Legend

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Almost anything works any colour/style of tee, dress style shirts, suits , nice jeans, good pair of shoes, I'd avoid things like shell suits, combining tracksuit pants with tee's in public unless its for a gym visit also i'd be hesitant of polo shirts.

#5 xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Super Poster

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationUbiquitous

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Blimey. I spend half my time in polo shirts. Fred Perry or Lacoste, mainly. I wouldn't consider myself aggressive or anything similar! 

1st treatment: May 23rd 2012 with Jon
2nd: May 30th 2012 with Jon
3rd: July 11th 2012 with Damon
4th: August 14th 2012 with Damon

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY DIARY

#6 staypositive

staypositive

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

i know.. thats the thing
a lot of my clothes are skinhead-style kinda thing.. im from brixton so spirit of '69 for anyone who knows/cares.. but i know i'll have to get rid of them.

Xxxxxx it's the same with me, fred perry's, lacostes, ralph laurens - i reckon they'll have to go :(

best bets i think are L/S shirts, jumpers and yeh fodandahalf ringer tees are good too i agree

#7 Nightwood

Nightwood

HIS Legend

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:56 PM

Haha think you'll be ok Xxxxxx, I aimed my opinion more toward the younger crowd as he said hes under 20 usually the thug types in the towns at night wear what I listed down.

End of the day nothing is impossible to pull off afterall it boils down to the person, if your a happy smiling type it wont matter so much how you dress. After your all settled with your MHT try your polo's it might work for you!

#8 HatingHats

HatingHats

Engineer and Questioning Skeptic

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

I am not sure on what is the best way to dress, but I can tell you one of the things which I think does not go well with MHT, and that is showing tattoos.  A shaved head alone does not put you in the skin head crowd and with a nice polo shirt and slacks, you can pull off a neat and clean look (much like an off-duty member of the military).  When you add in visible tattoos on the forearms, neck, or lower legs, I think many in the general public get a little bit more nervous, with the negative connotations associated with skin heads or having served time in prison.  I know this is not fair and not politically correct, but unfortunately, even today in the 21st century, many are pre-judgemental.

Family guy, Electrical Engineer, HIS SMPer and Dwemer Tonal Architect

SMP treatments finished on July 12th, 2013

Went from Norwood 4.5 to a realistic Norwood 1 - Pretty happy with my results!

Religions are based on faith, and Science takes nothing on faith and tests everything.  I prefer Science, It just works bitches!

#9 cookie_190

cookie_190

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

do u think professional people can get away with this look or do u think the stigma of a shaved head/thug look etc would make this difficult in the workplace? would love to get ur thoughts as i'm a teacher and ready for this treatment but reckon i'll come in for stick from the older generation at work

#10 Nightwood

Nightwood

HIS Legend

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

It can yeah cookie, i've seen a few guys say they are business men in suits sporting the look and it goes down well its a sharp look. I believe Smarty is a teacher or teaching assistant  http://www.hishaircl...uls-case-study/ im fairly sure it was himself who said this or if not there was another forum member who was in your profession.

#11 Haircules

Haircules

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

wear what you like!

Follow my progress Haircules mht journey- (A Quest for for the golden hairline) starring me

Had forth and hopfully final treatment at his clinic on 26/03/2012
Very happy guy :)

#12 LPP

LPP

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:31 PM

You guys are totally over thinking it. 

I wear Polo shirts all the time. I don't think I look odd in them with my head shaved. Go on the Ralph Lauren website and some of the models have hairstyles close to this. 

Dress how you want to dress.

The only thing I did as an accessory is get a good trendy pair of eyeglass frames. I wear them into meetings sometimes as I work in a creative field. I don't need glasses, but I think as an accessory they give me a "look" that works with this hair style. That started out as a joke though when my wife went to get new frames and I started trying on glasses and thought I liked the way I looked in them sometimes. 

Clothes wise I haven't changed anything. 

I suffered from a form of scarring alopecia called Lichen Planopilaris. I had my first treatment with HIS on 11/28/2011 and it's changed my life for the better. Read my diary at the link below for pictures and detailed experiences.

http://forum.hishair...opic/first-post

#13 cookie_190

cookie_190

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

thanks for that nightwood

#14 Nightwood

Nightwood

HIS Legend

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

No worries mate.

#15 Northpole

Northpole

Super Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

More than the type of clothes, I think how you wear the clothes makes the difference.
I go from formal business attire (work) to casual (going out with friends after work) to sport (obviously gym) all in one day and I think the cut of your clothes makes the difference.

This is what I've heard in response to each type of clothing:
Business- Young professional with a sense of style
Casual- This has given me the greatest variety of responses from hip young look, geek sheek to "its the style now a days"
Street wear (jeans and a T shirt)- neutral responses but none similar to "thug" or "skin head". Keeping in mind most skin heads or thugs aren't athletic built and wear jeans that actually fit and aren't riding down off my a@@ (not to say anything is wrong with wearing your jeans that low though).
Gym clothes- Look like an athlete

#16 JB

JB

Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationTri State area

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Don't worry about the HIS look not being young professional because that what it projects.

A nice clean cut look is what HIS projects.

Many many complements from many many people.

Hope this helps.

JB

#17 Damien

Damien

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,370 posts
  • LocationHalifax, UK

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hey JB, hope all is good with you :)

JB has uploaded quite a few photos onto his diary thread, wearing a variety of different clothes. Might be worth checking out
http://forum.hishair...first-treatment

I work for HIS Hair Clinic, based remotely from Halifax in the UK. I manage the website, blog and forum, as well as acting as a first point of contact for our forum community, answering questions wherever I can. Just joined and not sure where to start? See our YouTube videos and Gallery.Want to follow my SMP journey? See my diary thread here.

1st session - 12th June 2013
2nd session - 20th June 2013
3rd session - 27th June 2013
Touch-up session - 4th November 2013

#18 SkinheadBoi

SkinheadBoi

• Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationUp a Tree

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Since having this treatment done last year I have found my wardrobe has expanded. If I wear a suit it looks fantastic and also wearing a nice t-shirt, shorts and flip flops on holiday looks just as good. When you go to a shop, what haircut does the male mannequin have........shaved head. Say no more!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users